• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dragon's Back? (obstacle in Moab?)

daddyo

Loc.
Southern California
I once saw a video of some offroaders going down a steep
narrow rock ridge, with a drop-off on both sides. It looked
like Moab.

One of the vehicles lost control and went bounding down it
and went over the side closer to the bottom.

Does anyone have any information on this obstacle, or even
better, a video of the event on the web somewhere?

Andrew

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I think that clip was on a video show called "You gotta see this"

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
YelloTx73 said:
Wasn't it a K5 that was going out of control down the neck?
Yes it was. It lost its brakes on Lion's Back. There have been several accidents on that obstacle, which has no room for error. The most recent one a few years ago killed three people, and the remains of the vehicle was still there last year if you knew where to look.

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
I don't think that anyone was killed when that last jeep flopped down on the side.

I was there when it happened, and it seems like I remember that everyone was okay after it was all said and done. The jeep fell about 30 feet straight down, and wedged itself in upside down. I remember walking up the side and looking down on top of the jeep..

When the K5 loses its brakes, it was the owner's girlfriend that was driving. She did pretty damn good, kept it in control almost the entire way down.. Just lost it right at the very end. Looked pretty intense.

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Who ever took that picture must of held the camera wrong, so I fixed it! ;D

That is steep!

Attachments

• lionBack1.jpg
    lionBack1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
md_lucky_13 said:
I don't think that anyone was killed when that last jeep flopped down on the side.

I was there when it happened, and it seems like I remember that everyone was okay after it was all said and done. The jeep fell about 30 feet straight down, and wedged itself in upside down. I remember walking up the side and looking down on top of the jeep..
The accident I referred to involved a Toyota. It got nearly to the top when another vehicle came over the top to go down. The Toyota pulled off the line and to the right side looking up (first big mistake) to let the other vehicle by. The two passengers stayed in it (second mistake), and when the driver tried to turn sharply left to get back on the line, it rolled off the right side (looking up) and killed all three. The remains of the Toyota are still lodged there.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
GJBroncoMan said:
The accident I referred to involved a Toyota. It got nearly to the top when another vehicle came over the top to go down. The Toyota pulled off the line and to the right side looking up (first big mistake) to let the other vehicle by. The two passengers stayed in it (second mistake), and when the driver tried to turn sharply left to get back on the line, it rolled off the right side (looking up) and killed all three. The remains of the Toyota are still lodged there.

There are pics in sequence of this when it happened. It was a black 2nd gen Toyota 4runner over EJS. Not last year, but the year before. And yes, all three died. It was an unlocked 4runner. When he turned to go back up the rear lost traction lifting the front tire and it fell off the right side and into a crevis landing straight on the lid. There was no cage.

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
What a messed up way to die. Lets bring this thread back to a happy place. ;D

Attachments

• dougschulz10[1].jpg
    dougschulz10[1].jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 69

Loc.
Salt Lake City
I have no sympathy for people who do that obstacle. All it is is straight up and straight down. Lame obstacle with too much risk for little error.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
0313 said:
I have no sympathy for people who do that obstacle. All it is is straight up and straight down. Lame obstacle with too much risk for little error.
Yep, especially when you consider that you have to pay to simply drive up and right back down it. %)

montanabronc

GJBroncoMan said:
Yep, especially when you consider that you have to pay to simply drive up and right back down it. %)

I agree maybe it's me but it doesn't look that fun

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
montanabronc said:
I agree maybe it's me but it doesn't look that fun
To me, Lion's Back and Potato Salad Hill are both a complete waste of time and $, but many people feel the need to attempt those obstacles for whatever reason. I'll occasionally go watch at Potato Salad Hill just to watch the huge amount of utter stupidity present there. I've seen more damage done to vehicles at that one obstacle right next to the county dump than anywhere else in Moab. %)

As for Lion's Back, it's kind of the "classic" Moab obstacle because so many people have seen the video that's the topic of this thread, so they have to do it. It does have a high pucker factor because of the huge consequences of a mistake, but you have to pay ($15 last year I believe) to simply drive to the top, turn around and come right back down. I'd much rather do Hell's Revenge, Rusty Nail, Moab Rim, Pritchett, etc... than either of those obstacles.