• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drove it for the first time and Overheated and blowing oil, THOUGHTS?

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
So, I'm pretty excited to finaly drive my Bronco, for the first time, home from the shop. Again, no history on the engine or gears but I will tell you this. It is geared way to low and I couldn't go over 40MPH. I started to overheat and oil came out of the dipstick. So I pulled over and towed it home. It still starts and runs but I think I have a huge gearing problem. I want to use this as daily driver so what type of gears do you all recommend and do you think the transmission needs a good looking at? It shifted fine and chirpted the tires but I want something a little more tame.

Suggestions please

VET

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Ya sure it aint in 2 low? If it aint what gears are in it?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yes it has to be in low range, also sounds like your rpm's were way up there

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X4 on it being in low range and the high RPM's caused the engine to run hot and probably blow oil out the dipstick as well. So theres probably nothing really wrong with the engine.

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
X4 on it being in low range and the high RPM's caused the engine to run hot and probably blow oil out the dipstick as well. So theres probably nothing really wrong with the engine.

I think you guys are SPOT on! I remember in the shop when it was on the lift and we checked to see if the 4x4 worked and it did. Then they shut it off. So i hope its in low range. How do I know what 2h is?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
do you what shif pattern you have? if it like a backwards J all the way back and up would be 2h

70_Steve

Old Guy
Here's the two possible shift patterns.

Attachments

• transfer case shift knobs.JPG
    transfer case shift knobs.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
heck Steve that is so much easier, than me trying to babble it out;D
That did the trick but I'm not sure what gear I'm in. Should I be in N or 2H? I'm still spitting out some oil, but the dipstick is beat to heck so I'm going to get another one.

Since I have you're ears... I'm also running an electric fan (ONLY) because the fan was hitting my radiator due to the way the engine sits on the mounts. I have a new radiator and shrowd with the electric fan attached to the radiator inside the shrowd. Is this enough to keep the engine cool? I haven't messed with the thermestate yet..

Thanks,

VET

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
that really depens on the size and cfm of fan you are using. how hot are you getting right now. and yes you should be 2h if in n you won't go anywhere;)

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I have the ford stock Mark VII/ T-bird fan, some use the smaller (similar CFM) Taurus fan. My Brother uses this set up on his 74 (I installed it myself), I run it on my ramcharger with the 440 Big Block engine, and soon in my 75 EB I am building. Only one catch, you need a 100 amp plus alternator (130 on 75 EB, 120 on RAM) and a 100 amp relay, napa $50 dlls.

X2 with Skiddy, 2H (2 wheel drive High), that means that the transfer case will be on the high gear and only send power to the rear. N is neutral, no power to either side.

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Oh I'm not sitting reving the engine and watching it overheat while oil spills out the top. Just drove it again aroun the block and it's running about 210 but I havent had it sitting idol to see were she'll get too..

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Also, if any of you guys wouldn't mind giving me a call just PM me and I'll give you my number. Typing is kicking my butt and talking to a real human fits me better.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
210 is not bad. check your egr valve and see if it is working

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I looked at his gallery its a T shift ...so all the way back and forward 1 gear is 2h, all the way back is 4h

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Thanks, I think I got the gearing figured out now. Now I can't start it. I'm sure it's flooded and I just have to learn to be patient with it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You probably boiled all the fuel out of the carb it may take awhile for gas to get back into it. I would say that in a lot of cases(more than half) generic electric fans dont work well enough to keep a bronco cool. I'd suggest going back to a mechanical one.