• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

early 66 U14 Halfcab, keep it original or new build?

mattt

Bronco Guru
I recently picked up an early 66(Oct 65) U14 halfcab. It's a project and I'm not sure which way to go with it. It has the original 170 6 cyl in it still but I have a spare good running 302 sitting on an engine stand that came out of my 69. Is there any reason to keep this 66 as a 6 cylinder? If it was a U13 I could see it, but since it's not I figured I'd see what the Bronco collective thinks. Opinions & suggestions are welcomed to point me in a direction for this build.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Hmmm. I say keep it as is or upgrade to a larger 6 cyl and keep the old one in storage, but don't weld in new motor mounts. U14 is still pretty rare IMO. Does it have a half cab and bulkhead?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yes, it has steel half cab, bulkhead, half cab roll bar, eyebrow grille. What is the largest 6 cyl it can accommodate?....no replacement for displacement. Thanks.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
200 would be a direct replacement, the 250 would also bolt up but will pose hood clearance issues often solved with either a body lift or hood mods.
The 240/300 will fit, but take major modifications.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Is it uncut? Rusty? Other mods to the body?

If it were me....

If uncut, I'd keep it stock(ish). If doing an original style restoration, I'd leave the original motor in. If doing a resto-mod, I'd keep it looking stock, but drop in an EFI motor (or maybe one of the newer EFI units that look like a carb under a stock air cleaner for the sleeper look) and overdrive auto.

I would not try to make it a 289 U14 since those did not come out until later, and IMO that is more of a fake/clone/wannabe than a cool custom like the resto-mod mentioned above.

If cut, extensively rusty needing lots of repair, etc., build it however else you like them.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
It's cut but not very rusty. I was surprised to see how little rust it has. My 69 had more rust to start with.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I'm a fan of keeping 66's OG... (just look at my screen name;D). IMO, they are the only year (maybe 67's as well) that I would leave all original. But, it's yours and you should do as you wish...

You can always undo anything you do to it if you want to go back to OG, it's just money after all.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I do not think it necessarily matters if it is a 66 or 67 if it is kept original, but how clean, complete, or in some way unique it is to start with.

I'm not a fan of getting a beat up pile and buying every single repair panel, reproduction or NOS part you can find and calling it a pristine vehicle when it is finished.

If it is a nice clean rig, or otherwise rare/unique (factory 289 66 U13 or U14, Explorer package with sunburst interior like recently on ebay, Explorer or Special Decor with stripe kit, very low mileage, etc.) would play more to me whether to keep it in original form or not more than just the year.

We had a 77 Ranger that we recently sold which was well worth keeping original more than some earlier ones we had. The same holds true for our current 77 EB (the Balloon Chaser Ambulance).

On the 77 Balloon Chaser F100 I also have, I plan to keep it as near to original as possible with a few exceptions: It now has a 460 instead of the original 351M which I plan to keep in it. It also now has functional dual stack exhaust versus the original faux stacks which I also plan to keep. I may pull the original rear axle and store it away and build up a heavy duty 9" with limited slip, lower gears and disc brakes as I intend for this to perform like the hot rod it looks like and want to be able to lay down some nice burnouts with it when the need/urge arises! ;D

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks Drew for that response...it brings up a lot of good points and I trust your opinion on these old horses. I'll get some pics up in a few days to add fuel to the thread.