• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Eastwoods epoxy primer and 2k ceramic chassis black

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
Woohoo !! primed and painted frame...few coats of eastwoods epoxy primes and a few coats of 2k ceramic chassis black gloss..time to start reassembly

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 146
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 144

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
that looks great. It turned out amazing. I am doing the same Eastwood Epoxy Primer and Gloss Black Ceramic Chassis Coat this weekend. Yours turned out amazing. What was your wait time between coats? What temperature were you spraying? Any special parts to your compressor/gun (i.e. Driers, filters, etc.)? How was the clean up of the Primer and Chassis Coat? How was the overspray? Got any tips/pointers?

Sorry for all the questions but I want mine to look as good as yours ;).

OP
OP
69BroncoDad

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
Hey thanks for the comments....i Da'd the frame down with 80 then 180 degreased....fired up the furnace got it about 70 degrees...started priming...what a pain in the ass to get in all the tight lil hard to get spots ( had to spray a lil heavy and blow in with air a few places......gave it about 45 to 60 mins before each coat. I through up some tarps because my paint bay is kinda occupied with the body on 55 gal drums, but over stray wasn't bad at all...just around the immediate area.prime clean up was a breeze...the paint on the other hand....clogged the gun a few times went to a bigger tip sprayed better but came out slow, so i just kept spraying since i already had the quart mixed...clean up wasn't bad but seems to harden quick...make sure ya stir..stir...stir..and stir some more to get all the ceramic off the bottom but all and all...pretty happy...but i think i may have strayed the second coat a lil too heavy
I plated the front frame horns ...started with the steering box then decided to do both sides...then i was looking at the front again and and thinking about my bumper and grill gaurd i intend to buildwith will stick out front a lil further decided to extend the front out a lil bit ....i replace both of the rear frame horns because the PO and ripped the bumper and reciever off and one of the mount holes was a bit pitted so replaced them both and extended them 4 inches on the rear and 6 on the front

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
Hey - thanks for the good information. I like that the primer is grey and the Chassis Coat is Black - that should make it easier to get the coats uniform. I am very interested in it taking 60 minutes between coats. If you did it at that pace, then you shoot this (2 coat primer and 2 coat finish) in 1 day. I thought it would take 1/2 day between coats making it a 2 day process :(.

Did you put plastic on the ground under the frame?
How much of each product did you use on the frame?
How long are you waiting until you start the chassis assembling?

If tarping off the area works, that would save me a ton of time vs. masking off my entire garage, sealing the seems, using ventilation fans, body suit, and all the other things for making a paint booth. Maybe I need to do the paint booth masking just on the final paint job and clear coat(s) process.

I am doing the chassis, brake pedal, gas pedal, e-brake, and the bottom of the tub at the same time to eliminate cleaning up twice. I think I will be shooting in 70-75 degree weather.

You may have saved my whole weekend! Thanks again for all the advice and inspiration!

OP
OP
69BroncoDad

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
the first few pics are bare metal....then the primer black....then the chassis black
I didn't tarp the floor...it's gonna sweep right up
no suit..only got a lil on my finger during clean up.
my other bay is all set up for painting...thats where i'll do the body
it was getting late...so i'll do the rear axel,steering parts,crossmember ,springs and misc parts tomorrow or next day
just the frame used probally 2 qts primer and 1 qt paint

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
That is exciting news. Definitely looks like a show car finish. It is nice when things end up being easier than expected (cleanup, prep, dry times, ease of use, materials, etc.). The pics make more sence after clarification. The Gloss finish looks VERY glossy - just like I want it. This stuff should be indestructable.

I really appreciate this information - I would NEVER dared do this Bronco project without the resources of this site and insightful information like this. Best of luck on the rest of the project and keep the pictures coming.

Thanks again for all of the help.

OP
OP
69BroncoDad

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
ooops...sorry correction 2 qts of paint for the frame....rear axel and crossmember sorry about that
Frame didn't turn out as good as I hoped...got a bit of over spray on it from trying to get into the nooks and cranies....but all in all...still looks good
IMO looks better than all the POR15'd frames i've seen...no offense to anyone that used POR15

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
It is hard to decide which product to use - POR15, Rust Bullet, Eastwood, etc. I went Eastwood because I can get everything from them and not worry about compatability issues later. As of right now, I am goin to buy the Paint and Clear Coats from them as well. I say as of right now because I am worried the body work will kick my butt.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on how yours looks vs. other products you have seen - that advice means a lot to those of us with little or no experience with other Broncos. Heck, I just saw my first Half-Cab over the weekend so I have no experience with the differences in products on different Broncos :).

OP
OP
69BroncoDad

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
Its all good bro...this is my first EB...i've always had Heeps and F/S Chevy
And i am by no means a bodyman...lol hate body work But love my Bronco so it's gotta get done...

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks for all the help. I did mine over the weekend. The primer was a breeze and went on perfect. The Ceramic is very thick. I turned my gun up to air pressure and got it to shoot. It turned out good. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG00273-20101017-1601.jpg
    IMG00273-20101017-1601.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG00283-20101017-1947.jpg
    IMG00283-20101017-1947.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 56