• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EB driver shot and killed by police

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I could get to 90 easily in mine with 33's, 3.50 gears and the ZF. 75-80 is tops for me though

Deano

Bronco Guru
I do 80 in mine every day on interstate 3.50 gears three on the tree 32" tires 2800rpm and still have more to go if I want so it's easily done

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
what kind of idiot points a gun at a cop?
I'll never understand that.
suicide by cop maybe?

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I was kidding around about the speed... but do see that as about the tops for a lifted EB as shown.

My tired old bronco on worn out everything was pretty shaky at 50 mph... but there are numerous reasons for that!

I really feel for the cop being forced to take a life. Such an unfortunate set of circumstances to come to grips with.

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Hmm... Where is that right established?

Society expects extraordinary decision making out of ordinary people. I am thankful I am not required to make life or death (or just normal business decisions) in my job in a split second. The time an officer has to decide their life changing actions is normally 1-3 seconds. It is very difficult to make accurate risk assessment decisions in that time frame. I don't expect an officer to make any other decision than to protect themselves, just as I would protect myself if someone put me in that situation. In simple terms, if a person points a gun at a cop, they are choosing to die.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
In simple terms, if a person points a gun at a cop, they are choosing to die.

I don't disagree, maybe not die, but by pointing a gun at a cop they are definitely leaving the decision up to the cop.

As far as the rest of it well that is a discussion for another thread. My point is there is no "right" to go home at the end of the day, there is no guarantee of life for any of us. Cop or not.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
A cops right to go home to his or her family at the end of a shift is priority #1.

Do they have radar showing the Bronco doing 90??? I am a skeptic on that. 60 I believe... 70 possible... 80 doubtful... And just no way for 90!!!

Mine will do 90 easily but I wouldn't want to be in it!

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
"Right" might be too strong of a word. Maybe "deserves" is a better word. Either way, why would an upstanding, honest civilian ever pull a gun on a cop. Bad things happen to people that put themselves in bad circumstances.

I am just really tired of the media picking apart every officer involved shooting for an angle. Then letting the story go when they figure out the cop performed their duty.

I would enjoy debating it further, but I have some better things to do... like trying to find a ZF transmission to swap into my bronco so it will do 90!!! (or at least fast enough to get out to the ranch to hunt!)

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
People who make poor decisions get poor results. Just like the stock market, but more permanent

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely a sad story and a good example of piss poor judgement.

While I wasn't there myself, my brother was running northbound on I-5 up to Portland and saw the chase heading southbound. One pretty nice EB (I've got him trained) with about 7-8 cop cars on his tail, followed by several more catching up to the group. My brother didn't think the speeds seemed high at all, more like O.J. Bronco speeds than anything else, but maybe at some point he was speeding excessively. Regardless, it sucks to see any EB make the news for something like this, but thankfully no LEO's or innocent people got hurt in the mess.

OP
OP
B

brandenpro

Loc.
Salem, OR
If I was the cop that ran him off the road I would have paused for a split second and thought "damn this is a nice Bronco I'm getting ready to ram".

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Hmm... Where is that right established?

Umm.. you are born with it. You are born with certain unalienable rights.. "among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

But if you do something stupid, like point a gun at a cop, you forfeit it.

Swerve

"I am just really tired of the media picking apart every officer involved shooting for an angle. Then letting the story go when they figure out the cop performed their duty."

Yes! What Casey4wd said!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Point a gun at a cop.... you've just made a conscious decision That is not going to end well. No pity for the subject here. Just too bad it couldn't have been a 90's jeep Cherokee or something similar.........

Exactly.... So it goes right.