• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock 1405: Truck wont crank.

CRIMSONTIDE

Just replaced carb with an edelbrock 1405. I have no idea how to hook the vacuum hoses up. There is one large port on the very front of the carb, and one smaller port on each side of the large port. Which one does my dizzy hose hook up to?

Also, i have no idea how to adjust. Just cant seem to find the right info. Carb is getting fuel, but wont fire. New fuel filter, etc.

Thanks in advance...

OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

Thanks Steve, but im still confused on whether or not my dizzy hose goes to center large port, or drivers smaller port...

70_Steve

Old Guy
If you don't have any fancy emission stuff, this should work.

Attachments

• Edelbrock Vacuum Connections.jpg
    Edelbrock Vacuum Connections.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

Steve, let me clarify, lol. Im a complete idiot and dont even know if i have a pcv valve. Im just trying to figure out where to plug the distributor hose to, and which to cap off.

70_Steve

Old Guy
See my notes in red in the pic I posted. Hook distributor to Passenger side. Cap off Drivers side. If you don't hook a PCV valve to the big port in the middle, cap it off.

The PCV valve should be in a valve cover, usually on the passenger side. Smallish metal cylinder with a connection for a 3/8" hose. The other end of that 3/8" hose needs to go to manifold vacuum. If you don't have a spacer plate for your carb with a PCV valve connection in it, hook that 3/8" line to your carb.

When in doubt cap it off.

BTW, assuming you don't have any big vacuum leaks, like that PCV valve connection, the engine will still run without the distributor vacuum advance line hooked up. That's the way you're supposed to set the base timing... with that vacuum line disconnected, and the carb port plugged up. Usually you disconnect the line from the distributor vacuum advance mechanism, and use a golf tee (or similar) to temporarily plug the line.

OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

Ok, heres the deal. Ive been messing with the carb all day long. I Let the truck sit for a couple hours, then went outside and it fired right up. Im assuming the engine was flooded. Well, i drove it for about five mins around the neighborhood and it shut off. Im going to take your advice and reroute the hoses in the morning and mess around with the adjustments too. Youve been a great help, with that being said, any other advice you could give about the carb would be great! Thanks again!

70_Steve

Old Guy
Ok, heres the deal. Ive been messing with the carb all day long. I Let the truck sit for a couple hours, then went outside and it fired right up. Im assuming the engine was flooded. Well, i drove it for about five mins around the neighborhood and it shut off. Im going to take your advice and reroute the hoses in the morning and mess around with the adjustments too. Youve been a great help, with that being said, any other advice you could give about the carb would be great! Thanks again!
Well, I'm glad to hear that it started and ran, if only for 5 minutes. That had to be a big step.

Here is your carbs Owners Manual. Lots of info about exactly how your carb works, and lots of tuning info.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_owners_manual.pdf

The good news is that this Edelbrock Performer (formerly Carter AFB) is a good street carb and one of the easiest to tune. Literally 5 minutes and you've retuned the primarys. And that's start to finish, from the time you start walking to get your tools to the time you put your tools away, and without removing the carb from the engine.

The bad news is that it's probably the worst carb for off-road. Not so bad on just bumpy dirt roads, but the carb is terrible at off-camber and not-even-too-extreme nose up and nose down angles. I ran a Carter AFB and it's why I now run EFI. I have a Word .doc file that explains how you can make some modifications to the Performer to run decent at off-angles. It will never be good, but you can make it better. If you want that file PM me your email address.

OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

Update: Got all the lines running right. Adjusted it and got the correct fuel/air ratio. Ran it around the neighborhood for five minutes, and again, guess what, died as soon as i parked it. Guess ill be taking it to a mechanic. Must be the fuel pump or something else. Thanks for all your help steve...

70_Steve

Old Guy
Update: Got all the lines running right. Adjusted it and got the correct fuel/air ratio. Ran it around the neighborhood for five minutes, and again, guess what, died as soon as i parked it. Guess ill be taking it to a mechanic. Must be the fuel pump or something else. Thanks for all your help steve...
Is this your daily driver? If not, don't give up so easily. Lots of help available here!!!

When it dies, what's it missing? Fuel? When it dies (and with the key OFF), remove the air cleaner, look down inside the primary (front) venturies, and actuate the throttle by hand. Do you see gas squirting down inside the venturies? If not, the carb is out of gas, and there are several things to check to find the problem.

If there is gas squirting, then chances are you're missing spark. Again, several things to do to find the problem.

I've always found a quick and easy way to determine if the problem is fuel or spark is to use a squirt of Starting Fluid. Just a quick squirt or two of that either in the top of the carb or the air cleaner inlet, and if there's any spark at all the engine will try to start.

Let us know if you're willing to continue troubleshooting.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
It sounds like it dies after its been warmed up. Does it easily restart after it dies? if not it could be the intake configuration. You may need the heat resistant spacer and the correct 4 hole gasket. Check that linkage on the carb is at 0 choke when you set the idle speed screw.

OP
OP
C

CRIMSONTIDE

Boys, i got it running. Just drove 25 miles one way down the interstate and 25 back, then cut it off, and the damn thing fired right back up. Couldnt believe it! I ended up adjusting the idle sensor on the carb, i guess it was set too high and getting too much gas or something, but as soon as i idled it down, all was well. Hope my luck continues, and yall are the best. Thanks for all the help....