• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI and Engine Dying

ShoeSlinger

I have a 5.0 Exp sway (just completed) and the Bronco drives great for about an hour and then sputters like it is out of gas. Pop the fuel cap and relieve the tank pressure, and it starts right back up. I have a new vented cap and the vent moves freely. Any idea on how to resolve?

Joe473

Check for crushed vent lines going to charcoal cannister. Sound like tank isn't venting. The term "vented" cap in the industry and parts stores creates some confusion. Go by the year of the repayment cap. If its the later cap it is sealed and the tank vent and charcoal cannister provided venting. A "non vented" cap from earlier models is the cap which breaths. From what I remember the fill necks are different. Remove the gasket on your cap. Take it for a ride and see if its better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
My questions would be:

Is it EFI? Explorer swap would imply as much, but some people have gone carbureted.

When you say relieve the pressure, is it negative or positive pressure? Is it creating a vacuum because it's not venting air into the tank as fuel is removed, nor is it creating pressure as the fuel is warmed by EFI recirculation?

What type of fuel pump are you running?

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk