• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI First start up no spark help UPDATE, she roars to life

mtxride

Loc.
San Antonio
Glad you got it figured out. Those pickup sensors must be fussy little things when they decide to go out. They're not easy to test either, as least I couldn't find any way to test. When mine went out, the engine died on me, luckily, just outside my neighborhood. I kept cranking the engine and finally got it started, but it died on me a few more times on the way home. The next day it wouldn't work at all, then the day after that it was working again. I finally replaced the distributor and the issue went away. I went ahead and got a spare as well, in case it happens again.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I believe the pickup sensor, PIP, is a magnet so it's going to attract crud. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's magnetic. The hall effect sensor uses the windows on the wheel inside the distributor and the PIP sensor can tell when it hits an "open" spot(window). You'll notice if you look closely, one of those "windows" is spaced a tad closer than others....that is how it ID's cylinder #1. I'm glad to hear you figured it out Timmy. Did the clicking and flashing startle you when it first started? I know it startled me pretty good between the light and the clicks like you said.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I think the pickup is an electromagnet.

It didn't startle me but only because you had mentioned there would be clicking and that it startled you so I was ready. I think I jumped for joy......

Working on getting the harness put back together and installed.

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
So tonight I got the harness completely back on the rig, intake and engine compartment buttoned up. Installed the ECM and got power to all the relays that run the EFI system. Tested for codes and got 111 or system checks OK.

I tested the old distributor and got no spark. Tested the new distributor and got no spark. Found I had not plugged in the TFI module when I reinstalled the harness. Plugged that in and the new distributor had spark and injectors firing. Tested the old distributor and now after cleaning the pickup/hall effect sensor, it sparks like a champ and injectors fire.

So I have spark, air, and fuel

I guess I'll try and fire this bad boy up tomorrow if I can find time during the work day.

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Progress......

She tried to roar to life. She hit and almost fired off then hit and missed then nothing. Checked and I'm back to no spark from the old distributor. Should have just changed it rather than taking a chance. What's another $50 right?

So going to swap the old for the new.

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Changed the distributor out an she roared to life. Just ran for a few seconds (no coolant in it) but idled about where she needs to be. Timing is at 0 so she didn't sound the best but was a great sound to me.

Thanks Matt for all the help and direction on the issue.

Tim

mattt

Bronco Guru
Glad to help. I've been there too. Congrats on getting that first fire....it's a great feeling after working hard for many months on EFI :)