• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Gauges - Electrical vs. Mechanical

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
I'm installing a 93 Mustang 5.0 engine in my 66 and I'm completely redoing my dash. I need new gauges, but I'm trying to figure out the best route. On my stock efi wiring harness there's wires for the gauges, oil pressure, tach and temp. Does the computer read these signals or are the wires just tucked in to the harness for convenience? Could I replace the sending units so I could run mechanical gauges? Is mechanical better than electrical? Electrical gauges sure are more expensive.

Thanks for your help.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Same engine I have the computer does not read them. I have all mechanical gages. I prefer them over electric ones.

OP
OP
zdaily

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
Maybe another crazy question, I have an AutoMeter ProComp 2 Memory tach that was off a chevy 350 engine. It's a really nice tach, trying to see if I can use it on my 5.0 engine.

Does anyone know what each one of these wires does?

- Large gray wire - some form of a switch
- Red - my guess power
- Black - my guess ground
- White
- Green

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Skiddy said:
Same engine I have the computer does not read them. I have all mechanical gages. I prefer them over electric ones.

Skiddy,
Didn't you have to change the stock mustang sending units over to the bronco ones? As I read up on this, I read that the ohm's are different on the newer engines. Can you confirm or deny? Thanks

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
eb66to77 said:
Skiddy,
Didn't you have to change the stock mustang sending units over to the bronco ones? As I read up on this, I read that the ohm's are different on the newer engines. Can you confirm or deny? Thanks
You are probably right, but it was in there when I bought it so I guess I am not much help. But I do have all after market gauges.
As for the tach it has been too long since I hooked one up.

racebronco

Loc.
Jeffersonville, IN
You should be able to go to the autometer website & type in your model # & pull up a wiring diagram.. I'm using the engine coolant temp & air charge temp from the car I robbed the efi from, but the computer reads those. I have electric autometer gauges for everything, they come with sending units (coolant temp does, not sure about oil pressure). so I am using 2 coolant temp sensors, one for the computer, one for the gauge. computer doesn't read oil pressure, reads it's own voltage, & for fuel level, just get the one with the same ohm reading as the stock sending unit..