• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI idling issues- the bucking bronco

b4opec

Loc.
Sausalito, CA Marin
Would love to know if anyone has some thoughts-

Converted to EFI, Ryan's harness, couldn't be happier it's fantastic and anyone that's thinking of switching should not think, and just do it. It runs great but I've been ironing out some minor issues and still have one:

I have a manual transmission (4 speed toploader) and I don't think this would apply to autos. Here goes: Idle is set at about 750 rpm. When you're cruising along at say 30 mph, and the engine slows down to about 1,000 rpm it starts bucking between 1000 and 1200 rpm. It's as if the computer can't decide whether to let the engine lope along, or help it out. I have the speed sensor installed and it is functioning properly. It's annoying and I find that the engine will kick between 1000 and 1200 every few seconds, and the car will buck (like a bronco pun intended!) and it gets annoying. you either have to add gas to stop it or hit the clutch to make it go away. I can live with it but if I were to let my girlfriend drive it I'd probably wind up with some crapped u-joints or something. It's the same thing if you're going about 15 mph in 2nd gear, only in 2nd the bucking is more defined.

Any thoughts? I emailed Ryan about this but he's a busy guy and this is probably a can of worms for him to identify the problem.

Western Okie

Loc.
Leedey,Oklahoma
I have the same problem...Only mine won`t do it everytime.Never know when its going to do it.Seems like mine does it worse when i first fire it up and take off. I have the centech wiring harness.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
b4opec said:
Would love to know if anyone has some thoughts-

Converted to EFI, Ryan's harness, couldn't be happier it's fantastic and anyone that's thinking of switching should not think, and just do it. It runs great but I've been ironing out some minor issues and still have one:

I have a manual transmission (4 speed toploader) and I don't think this would apply to autos. Here goes: Idle is set at about 750 rpm. When you're cruising along at say 30 mph, and the engine slows down to about 1,000 rpm it starts bucking between 1000 and 1200 rpm. It's as if the computer can't decide whether to let the engine lope along, or help it out. I have the speed sensor installed and it is functioning properly. It's annoying and I find that the engine will kick between 1000 and 1200 every few seconds, and the car will buck (like a bronco pun intended!) and it gets annoying. you either have to add gas to stop it or hit the clutch to make it go away. I can live with it but if I were to let my girlfriend drive it I'd probably wind up with some crapped u-joints or something. It's the same thing if you're going about 15 mph in 2nd gear, only in 2nd the bucking is more defined.

Any thoughts? I emailed Ryan about this but he's a busy guy and this is probably a can of worms for him to identify the problem.

I've heard that air from the fan blowing on the MAF can confuse it. Do you have something blocking the air from getting into the air filter?
Tom

OP
OP
b4opec

b4opec

Loc.
Sausalito, CA Marin
In response to the post above, no, the air filter is set back against the firewall, that's one of the first things I considered, but it's tucked back away and is not getting fan wash or road wash