• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

electric window motors

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
SO on my daily driver one of my back windows won't go up any longer.
It'll move down but not back up . SO QUESTION Is .. can I just cut the 2 wire & WIRE THEM BACK Together backwards. I'm going to give this vehicle to the young man that does a bunch of mechanical work for me . I'll give this one to him when he get the one he's working on now finished .
I just want the window up again. & I can unhook it .
.. I don't want to buy another motor on this one. But it looks to me like If it'll go down If I swap the wires It should go up.
thanks

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
If it works in one direction, the motor isn’t likely the problem. If you swap the wires at the motor, it’ll go up when you press the switch for down.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Pa, In my thinking, you've got an overload while closing the window. It may be a bad roller or wadded up felt on a track.

Window motor circuits have no limit switch. The window stops when it reaches the end of travel. If you continue holding the switch, it will trip its overload circuit breaker.
I think you'll find the same scenario when you swap the polarity.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Blubuckaroo makes a good point.
Is there any movement at all when you activate the UP switch?
Can you hear the motor bind up at all?
You might be able to feel the inner door panel bulge a little when pressing the up switch if there is a mechanical blockage.
Is your system relay driven or is it using a high current switch?

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
No I'm rather sure It's not binding . I've had the door panel off for about 2 months . mY MECHANIC BUDDY told me to get a new motor. But I don't want to spend 75.00 & give it away.
.. I don't hear anything .
I think it's completely down now. I was hearing the down groan . So I was hoping swapping the Polarity would make it go up.