• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Emergency Flasher won't work unless signal switch is flipped.....

clintonvillian

Loc.
West Virginia
I'm trying to avoid pulling the switch until I'm sure I need to. I about never got it in....

So my signal switch won't work at all or so I thought. I had left it on and my son was playing with the signal and they started working...one side dimmer than the others but the work.

It's a new switch and flasher so after seeing them work, with the signal I'm sure the flasher and emergency switch are good.

My thoughts now are the switch isn't getting power???

Thoughts???

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably ground issue to one side, someone smarter will be here shortly.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You're not getting power through the hazard fuse. Clean the rust from the fuse clips.

broncogt

I had a bulb socket that was corroded and gave symptoms similar to yours.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's a new switch and flasher...

And you know for sure which flasher you changed?
There are two of them and they often look identical, depending on whether or not the previous owners changed them at some point.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Find the turn signal flasher, ignore that one and find the other one.
Pull it out and check for power. Good test light is all you need. You should have voltage at one of the two wires, the other goes to the hazard switch.

Since all the lights work with you turn the switch on, it is probably fine. It works with the turn signal because the turn signal works fine. The hazard is pulling power off the turn signal and sending it to everything in the hazard circuit.

This is one of those times where it ISN'T a ground issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What Viper suggested is a good practice with any Bronco whether you're having issues or not. In fact, it should be standard practice on any old vehicle with glass fuses.
That's to remove the fuse (I say do it to all five while you're in there), clean the contacts and put it back in.
If it's very rusty, you may have to remove the fuse panel and check the backside too to make sure all the wiring is intact.

Not saying this is the only thing that could be your issue, but low voltage is not a good thin no matter what, so if you have not already done the fuse-box-clean thing, might as well get that out of the way.

Paul