• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Cutting Out Uphill

KyddsPly

I had the same issue last week. Drove ok on flat surfaces, but as soon as I loaded the motor, she would backfire and want to die out.

I checked fuel and timing to verify that was good, the next day I decided I would pull plug wire by plug wire to
Isolate the cylinder that I thought had an issue. (It felt like I might have had a bad plug/wire/valve/or lifter) but the engine wouldn’t turn over any more. Turned out that saved me a crap load of time.

After finding I had fuel and air, the only thing missing was spark. Traced it to the coil. Installed a new coil and it hasn’t ran this good in over a year.

The coil must have been going bad for some time, but still functioned to
The point of running until last week. The spark it was producing just wasn’t hot enough.

I never would have suspected a bad coil until the no start occurred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

Ok, I will start with easy and free checks and posting results for additional feed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

Agreed.

Throwing parts at it with out testing will become very frustrating.

Just because something is new or a year old doesn't make it good. One bad tank of gas is all you need to create a bad filter. A hose clamp that has loosened up over time, etc. Process of elimination will find the problem and save you money in the long run. Then upgrade your tank if you wish.

Take the fuel filter off and blow tru it. Tap on the side try again. A quick check.

While the filter is off, lengthen the fuel line, run to a container in a safe place start vehicle. You will know quickly if you have good volume.Good time to check clamps and lines. free and quick tests.

Depending on what you find check plug wires. A cheap VOM is all you need. Wiggle wires while looking at the meter. If no continuity of it fluctuates while testing , replace.

Let's use know what you find.

All great ideas and I will start with them. Just don’t understand how the fuel filter would only restrict flow when going up hill.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
All great ideas and I will start with them. Just don’t understand how the fuel filter would only restrict flow when going up hill.

Your fuel requirements increase same as under heavy acceleration . More fuel needs to flow to meet engine demand. Any restrictions or pump not able keep up with needs will do it. Also issues with the ignition system can do it as well.

What you will be doing is a process of elimination. Start with high likely hood items and work your way through. Lucky for you they are easy ones. You will have it back on the road in no time.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
A good friend once told me if you are having problems with an engine running right change the coil. It was a 46 Mercury. I don't remember all the details. It was a long time ago. He did say he had changed, adjusted everything and finally bought a new coil and all the problems went away.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Coil has caused me issues in the past. I've had one arcing to the engine block when revving up.