• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine rebuild thread...

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I have decided to do a thread on an engine rebuild from the ground up. Currently the engine is stripped down to block. The engine took a dive after about 300 miles of use. There were pieces of metal bouncing around in the engine and two pistons were destroyed. It was a crate engine when I bought it and was quickly turned into a paper weight.

So here is the first post of the build from the ground up. Please feel free to post questions/comments.

Breakdown Details:

302 built to 330hp/330 lbs torque. The engine was torn down to block because I was chasing wear issues and other problems.

1. Heads removed and checked - There was leaking valves in the number 3 and 4 cylinder. All was repaired at the machine shop.
2. Rod bearings - There was uneven wear on a few of the bearings so the first thought was a bad crank. The machine shop checked the crank and it was fine.
3. Engine block - sent in and line checked. It was not a perfectly straight block and was machined to be perfect.

So far I am about 600.00 in and I still need a new set of KB forged pistons. The total bill for this rebuild will be about 1,200.00 in the end, but I will know what I have in the end.

I do have to thank the Paris family (The Nik's and Alex) for all their help with this rebuild. Without them I could not have done it myself.

Matt

Attachments

• bronco - engine 001.jpg
    bronco - engine 001.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 39
  • bronco%20015.jpg
    bronco%20015.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 38
  • bronco - engine 003.jpg
    bronco - engine 003.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
and more pics

Attachments

• bronco - engine 010.jpg
    bronco - engine 010.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 38
  • bronco - engine 009.jpg
    bronco - engine 009.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 37
  • bronco - engine 008.jpg
    bronco - engine 008.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 25
  • bronco - engine 006.jpg
    bronco - engine 006.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 16
  • bronco - engine 005.jpg
    bronco - engine 005.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 22
  • bronco - engine 004.jpg
    bronco - engine 004.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 28

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
front bumper looks great matt!

it's a wonder those monkeys are still building engines. how far off was the line bore on the mains? or was the deck out? now i'm nervous about mine again.....

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
The line bore was off just a little bit. But a little there can make a huge difference on how an engine will run and wear.

I wouldn't worry about your engine. If it hasn't broken yet it should be okay.

Matt

front bumper looks great matt!

it's a wonder those monkeys are still building engines. how far off was the line bore on the mains? or was the deck out? now i'm nervous about mine again.....

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
new pic's of progress...

Crank and cam are in the block and heads are painted.

Next is pistons/rods and heads installed.

Matt

Attachments

• bronco - engine 032.jpg
    bronco - engine 032.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 9
  • bronco - engine 013.jpg
    bronco - engine 013.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7
  • bronco - engine 012.jpg
    bronco - engine 012.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 10
  • bronco - engine 007.jpg
    bronco - engine 007.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 8
  • bronco - engine 004.jpg
    bronco - engine 004.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 7
  • bronco - engine 003.jpg
    bronco - engine 003.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 6
  • bronco - engine 034.jpg
    bronco - engine 034.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
This is the same engine I had before. A piece of metal got in some where and destroyed 2 pistons.

As the engine was pulled apart the heads had low compression in the 3 and 4 cylinder. This lead to a head rebuild because the valves did not close properly.

Also, the block was not straight and had to be line honed.

New pistons will be ordered soon.

I am running out of time to complete the engine rebuild with our new baby due any day.

Matt

What happened inside the old engine?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That must have been some piece of metal to destroy 2 pistons. Possibly a couple bolts down the intake into numbers 3 and 4? Even on a new engine the crank centerline typically is not perfectly straight and the deck surface is not parallel.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
are you going a little more power, or staying the same? any special work done to the heads to help them breathe?

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Just curious, why are you going with forged pistons?

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Because it is how the engine was originally set up and it does have over sized valves in the heads and requires a certain type top of piston to flow the extra air.

When the engine ran it ran strong so I don't want to mess with how it was. Just rebuild it with the same specs but fix all the mistakes from the original builder.

Plus I am trying to get them to replace the pistons for free since I have had to repair their errors.

Matt

Just curious, why are you going with forged pistons?