• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

engine runs wierd

jperry1290

So I recently tossed my oil pump shaft in to the pan. After replacing it my engine jolts a bit and It is in rhythm with the firing order(1 jolt, 2 jolts,1, 2, etc). There is no grinding sound and everything else appears to be fine. The oil pressure stays constant. Could it be a ignition problem or maybe the cam and distributor gears are messed up? The dizzy gears looked fine when I put it back in.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
How long did it run with no oil pressure? Did you have any metal shavings in the pan? Are you sure you have the dizzy back correctly? It could be off 1 or 2 teeth on the cam gear forward or advanced.
Just tossing out ideas.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

I found that my num 7 spark plug wire was bad. When I replaced the plugs I noticed that the po had the wires 180 off on the dizzy. I routed the wires correctly, put num 1 at tdc, reinstalled the dizzy and now it won't start

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You verified that number one was at TDC with the spark plug out? Or just with the marks?

Paul

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

verified the tdc on #1 2 x's with the spark plug out and coat hanger in the hole. i also checked the rotor 2 x's and verified it was on the #1 tower. all i get is a backfire