• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer SERP power steering pump rebuild or replace

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was wondering if anybody here doing the explorer SERP conversion has rebuilt the the explorer steering pump instead of replacing it with a remanufacture part.
Rebuild kits are 18 bucks, so just wondering. I have so much bad reviews about the remanufactured steering pumps thought it would be better to do it myself. Anyone have luck with a brand of remanufactured parts ?
Thanks

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have done 4 Exp Serp conversions, reusing the pump that came with each time... All are still on the road with no leaks. Biggest tire being run are 33's.
Just another thought...

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks
Did you rebuild the pump? I have found two both covered in grime because of a leaking pump. This one needs new seals

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
If you're running larger tires, there are some threads on rebuilding that pump and increasing the pressure. But I have not seen one name a brand for the rebuild.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks mine is caked so must have been leaking the ex0lorer had 200,000
I’ll check out the more pressure , I currently have a 1990 Lincoln pump that does fine with 35 s

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I’ve gone through 4 or 5 of the remanufactured Explorer pumps. I kept burning up the shaft seal behind the pulley. Must of been the sustained highway driving at 3200 rpm. The stock Explorer pump is a bit weak when you combine hydroboost brakes and air down your 35’s. The mods you can make using the Superduty pump internal will increase pressure and volume a bit. But you really need more volume than than little pump is capable of producing. That’s where the Much Larger Saginaw pump comes in. It out performs the stock Explorer pump effortlessly. This is really noticeable when aired down, locked front end and hydroboost.

Mark