• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

fel pro head gasket, metal up, metal down

ddubp

Loc.
kihei, maui
got a new fel pro head gasket. metal on one side not on the other. front is stamped on both sides . metal facing head or metal facing block?

Last edited:

SecondChance

Loc.
Gresham
probably going to find that both gaskets are identical which meens when you put them on one will face up and one will face down. Been a while since I payed attention to it though, I'll have to go look at a set. Just pulled a set out and they are in fact identical so one side faces up the other will face down.

OP
OP
D

ddubp

Loc.
kihei, maui
i can keep the water passages clear at the rear of the block either way. it just seems like the metal should or shouldnt face one thing or another.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 13

JCoggin

I made this mistake once on a 351M. On one bank the metal will go up and the other it will go down. Make SURE that you do not block the water passages. PITA if you have to tear it back down.....Learned the hard way.....

JC

OP
OP
D

ddubp

Loc.
kihei, maui
awesome, so it really shouldnt matter which one is up and which is down as long as water ports are open..

thanks, thats what i like to hear

OP
OP
D

ddubp

Loc.
kihei, maui
got em on, front was posted on both sides, not just the impression visible through. one side said FRONT other FRONT, not FRONT and TNORF.

thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Front is Front or your engine is dead.
They are not marked top and bottom as they will work either way depending on which side of the block you are working.

Play with it for a few minutes and you will figure it out.

Also not the big water holes in the gasket, they are always on the other end of the gasket from the "Front" markings. That is so the water will flow to the back of the block, up to the head, then forward. that last part is very necessary to keep the head cool.