• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass half cab strengthening

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Going from a full cab to a half cab on my ‘77. Not sure of the manufacturer. There’s some what look like stress fractures at the rear corner of the window. I’m leaning toward grinding out a “L” shape and glassing in a metal L-brace for support. Is this overkill? If y’all have better/easier options, I’m certainly interested. TIA.

Randy

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
your better off with just thickening the lay-up a small piece of metal embedded will not transfer load and just be a stiff spot making the cracks move next to the metal. taper out the extra lay-ups. the cracked out side needs to be ground out and filled. I use Dura glass for this type of work.

OP
OP
Speedrdr

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
your better off with just thickening the lay-up a small piece of metal embedded will not transfer load and just be a stiff spot making the cracks move next to the metal. taper out the extra lay-ups. the cracked out side needs to be ground out and filled. I use Dura glass for this type of work.
Never even considered the metal brace might ‘encourage’ the crack to worsen. Appreciate the advice and wisdom there. I can certainly grind out and reglass the offending area.

Randy

661buster1963

Never even considered the metal brace might ‘encourage’ the crack to worsen. Appreciate the advice and wisdom there. I can certainly grind out and reglass the offending area.

Randy
Second the add layups suggestion, and taper the layup as suggested to avoid any stress concentrator. Cured polyester will require some aggressive grinding for bonding, like 36 grit. Epoxies are much more forgiving and will bind to any clean, solvent wiped surface.