• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally got her out of the stable, but things didn't feel right...

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
After several months I finished rebuilding the entire steering column, new hydroboost with new saginaw dual return power steering pump, all brand new brake lines with brake speed bleeder screws, electric fuel selector switch, 23 gallon Aero tank with a sending unit from a member on here for the 23 gallon tanks.

I have a couple questions and issues I would like your help with if you have had these issues and overcome them or if you know what the issue could be by the explanation (I know it is impossible to "diagnose " without seeing/hearing/feeling what's going on so I will do my best to describe the issues and provide photos (let me know what you need to see.) Let's get started;

1st- Previously I had a vaccum assist power brake system, so I just installed a brand new hydroboost system with a saginaw dual return power steering pump (I am still running front/rear drums). I followed all the instructions on bench bleeding the master cylinder and "burping" the power steering pump.

When I test drove the Bronco it felt like the steering was very tight/ sticking and had to fight to steer the vehicle, but when I hit the brakes the vehicle stopped (very happy the brakes worked). I have never driven a vehicle with hydroboost so I am not sure if what I am feeling/experiencing is normal or if there is something wrong?

I explained this to one of my friends who has hydroboost and he mentioned maybe I had the high pressure and return lines mixed up but then said that if that were the case i probably wouldn't be able to stop.... . Is this a possibility?

2nd- I have a separate thread going regarding this but I installed the electric selector fuel switch and also installed a new OEM style toggle switch (my old toggle switch was old and hard to toggle.) I connected all wires according to the diagram provided. I filled up the aux tank and the switch reads full but when I toggle to the main tank the gauge goes to empty as if the power is off (I know there is gas because I just put in 10 gallons).

I tried to do my best describing everything.

Thank you in advance for your time/help,

Sonny

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
I watched that hundreds of times before even starting the project to make sure I had an idea of what to do.....its never like the video, it always looks so easy and smooth.

I am still learning so I am just thinking out loud (not sure if this is possible or makes sense), is there a way to drain some fluid out of the system to then be able to add more fluid and start the process over turning the wheels (lock to lock) again?

Steering was a little tight with the engine off and the wheels off the ground "burping " the system, but again I just rebuild the entire steering column so I figure things will be tight.

Here are some photos of the set up.

Sonny

Attachments

• 20210207_074932.jpg
    20210207_074932.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210207_074945.jpg
    20210207_074945.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210207_074952.jpg
    20210207_074952.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210207_075006.jpg
    20210207_075006.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210207_075019.jpg
    20210207_075019.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210207_075029.jpg
    20210207_075029.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 52

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You said you rebuilt the column. Are you sure it turns free and isn’t binding? Could be the column and/or the steering shaft. A bind in the column/shaft will cause exactly what you are describing

nickgp

Bronco Guru
My hydro boost system would groan while turning and felt some resistance in the wheel even after bleeding. After driving it for awhile it diminished. After several hundred miles, it’s quiet and no resistance.

TNcowboy

Here's a better way to bleed that incorporates the brakes. Could be wrong but the video in the other thread missed that. It also is a one man job thru most of the process. Note the number of cycles that are required to be certain there's no air remaining in the system

https://youtu.be/AMV_x9WEoqY

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a better way to bleed that incorporates the brakes. Could be wrong but the video in the other thread missed that. It also is a one man job thru most of the process. Note the number of cycles that are required to be certain there's no air remaining in the system

https://youtu.be/AMV_x9WEoqY

This is how I did mine. I only needed 15-20 cycles, no where near 90 cycles. I also heard/read
that it takes about 500 miles of driving for the system to start to feel like it should.

OP
OP
FORD*DIEHARD

FORD*DIEHARD

Contributor
Thank you everyone for your replies so far and sharing your wealth of knowledge/experience.

After I initially returned from my original test drive I had checked the power steering reservoir and it was (full/normal).

When I went to move it back inside the stable to try the additional bleeding test, there was a (ticking/clicking) sound which wasn't there prior. I checked the power steering reservoir and noticed the fluid was substantially lower (not sure if that was the cause of the noise. I did not have time to work on it but after reading the replies and the possibility of "air" being in the system, the low fluid level is a ""good thing"".

I will post an update when I get a chance to try the additional bleeding procedure.

It was mentioned that the tight steering could be caused by the steering column itself, what kind of test can undo to know if something in the column is getting jammed up?

Sonny

Attachments

• 20210207_173005.jpg
    20210207_173005.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210207_172953.jpg
    20210207_172953.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 14