• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fitech EFI wiring question

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Make sure you didn't bend the pin over on the small power connector - I have done that twice now by not being careful plugging it in.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe a fuel pressure regulator to lower the pressure to Carb requirements?

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Make sure you didn't bend the pin over on the small power connector - I have done that twice now by not being careful plugging it in.

Do you mean on the snap connector? I am not getting even a volt registering when I check the red and black on that connector that comes right out of the throttle body. The Fitech guy said the red (positive) should register. Sadly I think I have a bad unit.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Update - the Hand Held device will not power up in the cab but will when hooked to a computer. DirtDonk helped me sort out Grounding issues (Thanks!), but it looks like the harness that is a 2 connector from the TB might be bad. Fitech wants me to dismantle everything and send back (ugh).

Question - I wanna drive this so bad; is there a way to use my old Holley 4bbl Carb with the electric fuel pump that is in my Sherman tank? Or am I SOL? I thought even if I bought a different electric fuel pump made by Holley and used it instead of the submersed in-tank one, it might work, but not even sure if it would have enough suction to pull fuel through the in-tank pump.

Thoughts?

You can use a high pressure fuel pump with a carb if you use a return or bypass style pressure regulator. It bleeds off excess pressure back to the tank. You should already have a return line for the FiTech. Probably not a bad idea to have it in case you ever have problems in the future.

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
You can use a high pressure fuel pump with a carb if you use a return or bypass style pressure regulator. It bleeds off excess pressure back to the tank. You should already have a return line for the FiTech. Probably not a bad idea to have it in case you ever have problems in the future.

Thanks, Yes, I was going to hook up the return to the carb since it is all plumbed. I fully intend on installing the EFI once they get all of this figured out, but in the meantime I want to get her on the road while the weather is still perfect. Appreciate the intel.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think he meant using the return line to feed the carb. Even though it's low pressure, it's not regulated in that type of system. Like it would be on, say a stock Ford MPFI setup.

In this case you use a regulator that has an output that can be regulated down to carburetor psi ranges, and has a return line to bleed off the rest.
Probably the only type that can take 100psi down to 3-5 psi anyway, but I don't know that for sure.

Paul

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
I don't think he meant using the return line to feed the carb. Even though it's low pressure, it's not regulated in that type of system. Like it would be on, say a stock Ford MPFI setup.

In this case you use a regulator that has an output that can be regulated down to carburetor psi ranges, and has a return line to bleed off the rest.
Probably the only type that can take 100psi down to 3-5 psi anyway, but I don't know that for sure.

Paul

Yeah, thanks. I mislead my comment. I meant that since I already have everything run for the EFI, I was going to see if the return line I ran could also be hooked up to the Holley as a return line to relieve the pressure (never had a return on a carb before). I will look into a pressure regulator too - I am running the Sherman Tank pump and will check that output pressure. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depending on the age of the tank/pump, it's probably in the (at least) 85 to 105 (maybe even as low as 60) psi range unloaded. The factory regulator throttles that back to 35-45 psi or so, and sends the rest back out the return line.
As you know, you'll need a regulator that can run that number down to 3-7 psi. Normally I would think you don't want to go over 5psi in general, but carbs like Quadrajets and (I'm pretty sure) Edelbrock/Carter carbs, would run better on 4 psi or so.

I'm sure someone knows for sure, or perhaps has even experimented with the different carbs at different pressures, but I don't remember that discussion.

Paul

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Depending on the age of the tank/pump, it's probably in the (at least) 85 to 105 (maybe even as low as 60) psi range unloaded. The factory regulator throttles that back to 35-45 psi or so, and sends the rest back out the return line.
As you know, you'll need a regulator that can run that number down to 3-7 psi. Normally I would think you don't want to go over 5psi in general, but carbs like Quadrajets and (I'm pretty sure) Edelbrock/Carter carbs, would run better on 4 psi or so.

I'm sure someone knows for sure, or perhaps has even experimented with the different carbs at different pressures, but I don't remember that discussion.

Paul

At this point it is play-time until Fitech gets my EFI figured out. They are sending out a box for me to ship the TB, Wires and Handheld back. Until I get something else, I might see what I can whip up to get it started (outside of the garage of course in case of flames).

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Update - still no running bronco. The Fitech people continue to be less than adequate in the customer service area. Reminder that this is a brand new unit, never been hooked up - they finally sent me a return label to return the TB, handheld and handheld wires to send back for them to "Test". In the meantime, I get to sit and wait. After not hearing from them, I reached out, only to be told they had not gotten to it yet! Why they didn't send me a new unit, I have no idea. I also found out that I really cannot safely hook up my old carb using the Sherman tank with fuel pump (EFI setup), because fuel pressure regulators will not handle the drop from 90 to needed 4 or 5 - there is a regulator that will do it, but it is another $200. Also, my return line is 3/8 with 6AN, and I would need to re-plumb with 8AN and minimum 1/2 inch.

Bottom line is that I hate to say it, but I would seriously consider something other than Fitech - understand that I have never seen it run or seen how it runs, so this is solely on customer service and company lack of caring. I can only really hope that they figure it out soon, and it works very well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bummer Jp. Sorry to hear about that. But I've been hearing that more and more here on the forums.
Luckily for them I think, it's been a pretty decent product for most users. But that "most" seems to be decreasing in ratio by the week!

Who did you purchase it from originally? Maybe there is something they can do? I'm not sure if we can help (if you got it from us that is) in something like this, where the manufacturer has the originally sold part, but maybe there is help to be had from that quarter?

Good luck. Hope they finally get around to testing your unit!

Paul

swmrdrn

I also found that Firech tech support was lacking. That are in a hurry to get you off the phone and not troubleshoot your issue. Fortunately there is a great Fitech oweners facebook group. The guys on there know more about the units then the techs on the phone at fitech.

That said, they do run great so don't lose hope.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I also found that Firech tech support was lacking. That are in a hurry to get you off the phone and not troubleshoot your issue. Fortunately there is a great Fitech oweners facebook group. The guys on there know more about the units then the techs on the phone at fitech.

That said, they do run great so don't lose hope.
This is the reason I bought mine. Real good support on line. Ken

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the reminder. I always forget to recommend the facebook page. Haven't used it yet myself, but should check it out anyway.
Any other forums out there specifically for this?

Paul

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks All - I will check out the Facebook page. I bought it from Wildhorses, and the guys over there have been great, even contacting Fitech for me to push them a bit. I am not giving up on the unit, as almost everyone says they do run well, especially when running the setup I have. Appreciate the input.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Fi-Tech owners group is EXCELLENT - far batter than Fi-Tech's actual "support."

Read the stickies, be thorough and patient, they are very smart on there, but won't just feed you answers without you doing the homework first.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Fi-Tech owners group is EXCELLENT - far batter than Fi-Tech's actual "support."

Read the stickies, be thorough and patient, they are very smart on there, but won't just feed you answers without you doing the homework first.

Dumb question; What are stickies? Ken

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those would be any discussions that were deemed by the moderators of a forum or facebook page to be important enough to remain always at the top of the discussion lists.
We have "stickies" here at the beginnings of our forum pages that always stay at the top for quick reference.

So that's what they are. Quick-reference threads.
There's only the one on top of the Tech forum here, but you'll see there are several in the Chat forum.

Paul

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
One option, external low pressure fuel pump bypass hi press part of system.

My understanding with fitech/FAST is they work through their dealer network first, ie, end users may not get a great response as they expect you to take it back to dealer who installed it. In our case, thats us...

Next, while we have read of the three or four bad results on this forum, I bet there are hundreds who are running fine, that you never hear about.