• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fix and modify rusty tub or buy a used one?

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
I've got a '76 with a kinda rough body. My rig is a trail rig though i'd like a solid body. It's been repaired once and needs lots of work. Just about everywhere you look there's rust and I havn't hit it with the wire wheel or grinder but i'm sure there's more rust hiding under a good bondo job. If I was to order replacement pannels i'd pretty much order everything. I was dumb when I bought my bronco thinking it had a pretty solid body.

Instead of ordering everything new I was thinking of picking up a couple sheets of sheet metal and a break and doing a bunch of "custom" body work. I was thinking things like a raised gas tank, bigger wheel wells, get rid of the raised part for the 2nd gas tank, cut rockers, lots of little touches to make the bronco body even better. This option will take a ton of time and right now time is money (i'm a college kid with no job during the school year, during the summer I work 50+ hours a week and working on the bronco doesn't pay) and I don't have a ton of time, the bronco has to be back together before I head to school mid august. I may save some $$ but not a ton and I'm not the best with body work.

The other option is picking up a solid used tub. How much do solid used tubs go for? Also how much do doors and tail gates go for? I don't mind some dents and minor rust but I've attempted rust repair and i'd rather not. I like this option because it saves me a ton of time and I don't have to mess up body work.

Would you try to make a "custom" body or just pick up a solid tub?

thesnake

Bronco Guru
From what I've seen and experienced, on ebay a decent tub will bring at least 800 on up. Since you're in school, I'd suggest just leaving it be. Patch and repair any glaring "holes" and hold off getting another tub until after you graduate.

In my case, I bought a really decent body and then a rolling chassis. Had an accident bringing the body tub home, but it's still 100% better than any tub I've had before. Mine will be a daily driver. Door and tailgate prices vary, from fair, about a $100 each to around $300-350 each. Ebay probably a bit higher.

A custom tub would be cool, my fab skills suck, so that won't ever be in my future.

I kinda rambled without saying much. I'd plan now, deciding which way you want to go, then once you've got a firm plan, attack it when you graduate.

John

OP
OP
B

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
Too late to put off, i had planed to do the custom floors now and had started putting ideas on paper and was about ready to order metal/ sheet metal tools when I kinda cut the rear floor out last night. It's had so many patches, needs new channels where all the body mounts are, pretty much it needs to be completely re-done to get it to support body mounts and be solid enough to run without a top/ doors.

During the summers money isn't really a problem and might be more plentiful then when the real world sets in. If all goes well the bronco should be pretty well set before the summer/ fall is over. I graduate in may and have no clue really where i'm going from there.

I'm eying a tub on e-bay right now and have some possible leads on a couple more. So 600-1000 is probably about the right price to pay? Also will a tub with the front clip fit in the box of a long box pickup?

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I think the box would be too narrow. I can measure my tub tomorrow against my long bed chebby and let you know. I think price wise that would be the ball park for a used tub. I think there were a couple on ebay.

John

OP
OP
B

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
I see one on e-bay right now. I've got my bronco and truck here i can do the measuring, just wondering if anyone did it, I know heep tubs fit.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Snowmobile trailer works well. How's life in the UP?

Dave (MTU grad)

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Tubs are too wide for the pickup, i tried once, we ended up with 2x4's across the bed rails and a tub on top of that...on a short bed. Your best bet is to find a decent used tub, to make the easiest work, then maybe fix/modify this one. I ended up with a used glass tub on mine, on a 77 with DB/PS all for $1300. If i had one to sell i would, but i think the 2 spare tubs i have might be about the same condition as the one you got. Might try Tom Carper, thebroncoranch@yahoo.com and see if he has anything. He is way south for you, but for a decent tub in michigan, you kinda expect a little drive.

Good Luck
Grant

ryan_289

Loc.
Russellville, AR
Wow I hadnt thought of changing tubs on mine. I need to replace 1 door post, front floors, around the rear wheelwells, 1 maybe both qtr panels, and inner fenders, and rockers. Im figuring that most of those fixes wont be too bad, but if I could find a good rust free tub for under 1500 it would be worth a drive to get it. Im just using the bronco right now and from 10 ft away it looks pretty good. Im saving my money for panels but Maybe for a tub now that I think about it. What is a good source to look for these?

OP
OP
B

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
I've been eying the tub on e-bay and trying to find more. I'm pretty sure i'm going to ditch the "custom" work and just slap a solid tub on for now.

I'm on beaver island for the summer (middle of lake michigan) which makes the project even more expensive though the pay is good out here.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Hey barrelroll, I work in Charlevoix, only seen one EB here this summer, lets not get into that one...you have your rig around here or is it back up north? I was in Marquette a few weeks ago and saw a red topless one up there. Just curious.

Grant

OP
OP
B

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
I'm on beaver island, my bronco was at the boat dock for a day or 2, it's orange on 36's, it's now out here in pieces. The red and white topless one on 36's in marquette is an old boss of mine Jeff's bronco. It's a real nice solid bronco from cali.