• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 8 Inch will not win! Please help...

ENDLIFE

I have built more then a couple of Ford 9 inch center sections, but I have never built a center section with a 9 inch pumpkin and a 8 inch pinion support. The problem with the 8 inch pinion support is it will not preload. I drive the nut down and it comes to a dead stop, no crushing the sleeve at all. I believe I'm missing a washer between the yoke and the outer bearing but I'm not sure, I just want some conformation before I rip off the seal.

Help

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I'm not ahware of this type of build but it sounds like the yoke itself is not long enough to pre load the bearing before the nut bottoms out. I can only guess that with what ever you're building it must need a certain type of yoke?

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

I know all yokes are not created equal, but I know some setups have the washer underneath the yoke. The weird issue is the nut is not bottoming out on the pinion, but it's not pressing down the yoke either.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
It has to be bottoming out on the pinion or the yoke. I can't figure out what else it could bottom out on. I also tried searching for the use of an 8 inch pinion support in a 9 inch case and can not find anything on this set up. So why are you using an 8 inch support and not a 9 inch support?

Do you have the crush sleeve installed?

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

It's just what we had on hand so we decided to go with it to get some parts out of the shop. I have one last test to complete and I should know where it's bottoming out at. I think it may be a different cut on the ring and pinion we are using.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So instead of using the right parts you are using the wrong parts and wondering why it isn't working%)

Quick & Dirty

It never occurred to me that a 8" pinion support would bolt in to a 9" carrier. The 8" support uses smaller bearings, but not that much smaller (2.53"x.66" vs 2.69"x.69"). Apparently it's possible to get it assembled, but the bearings won't seat properly on the original 8" races. I'd guess your locking up the bearings before they reach the crush sleeve.

And you can't use the 8" pinion bearings on the 9" pinion gear. 1.188" bore vs 1.313"

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

We found the problem with our super complex third degree elastic test. Everything pressed in just fine, but the 8" support does require the use of a thrust washer between the yoke and outer bearing. So it's not a question of wrong parts, it's just not being familiar with a new configuration. Hitting the machine shop in the morning!
Bronco73 WINS!
677733d9a6575f87c607e94893d7d716.jpg

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

If I ever see you on the trail in Colorado, a juicy can of Guinness all to yourself.