• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford crate electric motor

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check out ElectricGT.com

They have a conversion kit already for an electric motor. Looks kinda like a V8 engine with everything included. very cool set-up, very pricey too.

Hopstr

Contributor
Check out ElectricGT.com

They have a conversion kit already for an electric motor. Looks kinda like a V8 engine with everything included. very cool set-up, very pricey too.

Nice to see that they have the system shown installed in a classic Bronco.

BanditBronco

Pricing looks fairly competitive based on the rest of the market. It is twice as heavy as most of the Curtis offerings I have seen though. Anyone ridden in a Mach E yet? They had a good bit of them at the dealer the other day when I swung by for parts.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The motor is the easy bit. Electronics a bit tougher. Battery pack is where the challenges are at.

When designing a vehicle from scratch it isn't that hard to put batteries in. But it is a lot more difficult to install them into a vehicle that was never intended to have them.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The motor is the easy bit. Electronics a bit tougher. Battery pack is where the challenges are at.

When designing a vehicle from scratch it isn't that hard to put batteries in. But it is a lot more difficult to install them into a vehicle that was never intended to have them.

Classic bronco would be dual aux gas tank locations, then gas tank?

BanditBronco

Agreed, hence why most manufacturers run a belly pan that holds the batteries, so you don't lose the trunk to 10 car batteries. I would assume the people retrofitting should probably understand, or find out, that they will have to make a custom configured battery pack based on where they plan on putting it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Classic bronco would be dual aux gas tank locations, then gas tank?

Not even close to enough battery. All that space might get you 15 miles of range. And not enough wattage capacity to touch a quarter of what that electric motor can do.

A decent electric car battery pack is over half a ton. The size of the floor pan and about a foot tall.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
And in Tesla's case there's a cooling system involved, and I imagine any that are high capacity and have fast charge capability would be the same. Any kind of failure with Lithium batteries results in pretty spectacular fires. Trying to make an off-roadable Bronco would be a real challenge to protect the batteries let along find a place to put them. I'm not sure I would even want to have those batteries in something subjected to rocks, ruts and abuse in the first place. A fire extinguisher stands a chance on engine fires if you catch it fast. On a lithium battery fire it ain't gonna touch it.

Scott

Not even close to enough battery. All that space might get you 15 miles of range. And not enough wattage capacity to touch a quarter of what that electric motor can do.

A decent electric car battery pack is over half a ton. The size of the floor pan and about a foot tall.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
To add to the Tesla cooling package, it's not just water, a pump, and a radiator. It is tied into the A/C system so it can actually chill the battery below ambient temperatures. And if need be, warm it up. A/C goes out in your Tesla, powertrain goes into limp mode for thermal protection.

hucklburry rev2

The ElectricGT is going in a gateway bronco, EV1 I believe. It belongs to a customer of mine, there are a few in line behind him.

Last I talked they had a test drive scheduled late July, and 6-8 weeks later (end of SEPT?) he may take ownership? I do believe I will get a ride in it.

Demand for the EV in a Bronco is pretty strong I believe. My customer decided it would fit well with his need to check on his jobs around town, the range matched well, he is pretty excited about it.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where are they putting the batteries and how much will they weigh? What system are they using as a battery monitor and or cooling system? This where a tesla excels, in the long term charging and cooling software and equipment.

hucklburry rev2

Where are they putting the batteries and how much will they weigh? What system are they using as a battery monitor and or cooling system? This where a tesla excels, in the long term charging and cooling software and equipment.

We talked about that earlier in the year and I remember thinking it could be done better, but I have to temper that with thinking that people do know what they are doing, right? I believe it will be more obtrusive than you'd want, but I think its a reflection of the battery dimensions and requirements.

My customer was happy with carrying golf clubs and enough range to get around town, I told him he should try to make SuperCel West from St. Louis, he was like, "no way" cause the range and stops to recharge would take a lot of stops.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
We talked about that earlier in the year and I remember thinking it could be done better, but I have to temper that with thinking that people do know what they are doing, right? I believe it will be more obtrusive than you'd want, but I think its a reflection of the battery dimensions and requirements.

My customer was happy with carrying golf clubs and enough range to get around town, I told him he should try to make SuperCel West from St. Louis, he was like, "no way" cause the range and stops to recharge would take a lot of stops.

How bout thisÂ…small lightweight aluminum trailer with flat pack battery setup, twist-lock power connectors, multi pin for monitoring and temp control. Use the upper part of the trailer for extra storage. Instant longer range capability.

Scott

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How bout thisÂ…small lightweight aluminum trailer with flat pack battery setup, twist-lock power connectors, multi pin for monitoring and temp control. Use the upper part of the trailer for extra storage. Instant longer range capability.

Scott

Not a chance. You are talking about 400 volts while being loaded with a few hundred amps. The DC fast charger plugs are about the only thing that would be close that a consumer would touch. Those are crazy cables, something like 000-gauge. Look at the countless horrible trailer plugs running down the highway and the fact that even the massive fast charge plug is nowhere near robust enough to be used in a dynamic situation. Drag through a little insulation, that isn't going to be pretty. And that cable is REALLY expensive. The battery monitoring is way easier than what you are thinking. Really all you need is 4 wires, power, ground, and a pair for CAN databus.

The next problem is dragging a trailer around kills range. By about the same as what the trailer could provide. That is one of the evil twists about electric cars. You can't just add more batteries to make the range further. The added weight hurts the range. Roughly triple the battery to double the range in a car. Trailer is worse, more rolling tires, more rolling bearings. And we are talking about cars where the compound in the rubber on the tires can change the range of the vehicle by several percent. The trailer bit would be pretty close to a wash, all the gains are lost by the added drag.

There is some neat tech coming out of Germany (I think) where they are working on putting a complete battery and motor package in a trailer. Some legal issues since the trailer is also a power source, is it now a vehicle? The hopes are to just maintain the range of the tow vehicle without the added trailer drag. Zero out the load on the hitch ball. So it isn't a range extender, just a range maintainer.

About 5 years ago I rode an electric trials bike. There were 2 batteries. One on the bike and another in a backpack. If you don't know a trials bike, rock hopping on a motorcycle. The backpack was used to get around the loop. The distance battery. At each section (point of competition) he would take the backpack off, plug the bike into the on-board battery, ride the competition part (about 150 feet of distance), then pick up the backpack and switch to it for the ride to the next event. That backpack was about 40 pounds. All to power a motorcycle that only weighs in at about 150 pounds (in the normal internal combustion version, wet, fully fueled, ready to ride) Batteries are heavy when you start talking about serious power levels.

Another evil thing about electric vehicles, you have to keep the battery with you. If you used up 90% of the capacity, you have 90% of the battery as dead weight that you are still hauling around. Can't just set it aside or get another one down the road.

If it were easy it would have been done by now. For inspiration