• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

freeze plug help!!

clueless

Driving to my inlaws and head lights are going dim then pick up then dim then pick up.We stop and then steam comes out of the hood.Pop the hood and a freeze plug has a pinhole in it and the coolant is pissing out.How do you change one and can it be done with the motor in truck.Must be fixed tomorrow can't do them all just the one for now. Any help greatly appreciated thanks .William in nc

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
if you have enough room to swing a hammer you can can it in the truck to remove take a punch or screwdriver get near one of the edges of the freeze plug and tap it inward the other side should tip out then pull it out tyr to get the brass type of replacement freeze plugs they wont rust out on you, to install get a socket or something similar that is close to the same dia. to drive it in with you may want to think about replacing the rest soon before it happens again

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
If you need it done now and you need it done fast, buy a rubber expanding one. You stick it in the hole and turn the nut untill it is tight. Once you are homeand have some time to mess around, you can take it out and replace it with a steel or brass one. OR NOT, just leave it in.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Yeah, the rubber expandables will get you back home, but I would also recommend the brass ones when you can do them.
I've had two rubber ones blow out on me. Not fun. I don't like 'em.

The ones in the front of the head are the easiest to get to.

The back of the head are tricky with the heads on. They do make a brass or copper expandable that I've used on the back ones until I had the heads off and replaced with punch ins.

Some of the block ones are accessable. The ones under the motor mounts are impossible without jacking up or removing the motor.

Another good reason to make sure you are running the proper antifreeze to water mix. Antifreeze has a rust preventative in it.
I hate freeze plugs! I hope the one that went was on the front of the head. But take it as a early warning. Don't get stranded again, replace them with brass quality punch ins.

WHEW. Think from the long post I've been there...;) ;D
yep.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you have one with a pinhole the others are crap too so plan on a weekend motor pull soon and replace them all. So if you go with rubber for now plan on an extra one to carry with you.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D They make a tool to do it with the motor in the bronco and its not to hard. And use brass ones when you do it they will last a lot longer. The tool is off set and has a lip so you cant go to far into the block good luck.:p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p