• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Axle U-Joints

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Front axle u-joints are trashed on my 73 with Dana 44. What u-joints does it take? Says Spicer 24 on the joint and thats it.

Axles are covered in a thick layer of dirt and rust... what is a good indicator to replace? I cleaned a section off and it looks fine below the layer.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Additional info: The 260 is without a grease fitting and is considered stronger than those with fittings. If you want a fitting for maintenance that's a 260-1 instead.
The lack of a grease fitting is considered stronger (no place for a crack to start), but the ones with the fitting put it in the center of the cap instead of the more traditional location in the center of the cross.
The cross is the weakest link, but the cap is not a bad spot if you have the clearance. I'm thinking the Bronco front end is pretty tight in there, but might have room for a fitting if you want that kind of thing.

paul

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think it is easiest to install the fitting after the axle is slid into place. I have a zerk on the bottom of my upper ball joint that had the end rubbed off. I ended up having to make a short plug instead.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The stock Bronco U-joints are on the small side. Why many of us that have gone to larger tires will go with axles that hold larger/stronger U-joints as part of the upgrading. But if the small joints are all you need, and they probably are since they lasted this long, no reason to spend money on upgrading axles that don't need it.

But on the flip side of that, since they are small, you need good U-joints. Don't skimp out and get generic parts store joints. The stock 50 year oldish spicer U-joints are probably a better U-joint than you will get at the corner parts store. If you are going to replace them, get some real Spicer joints. No point in putting in new parts that are less quality than the old parts you are going to take out. And since that U-joint is typically the weak link to start with you really don't want to be making it weaker.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a zerk on the bottom of my upper ball joint that had the end rubbed off. I ended up having to make a short plug instead.
They make caps for those situations. I tried using 90 degree fittings but they were too big. Ended up using the caps and then changing to a Zerk when it was time to grease.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They make caps for those situations. I tried using 90 degree fittings but they were too big. Ended up using the caps and then changing to a Zerk when it was time to grease.
Since my zerk was damaged, I finished grinding it down and soldered the hole shut... innovation was quicker than hunting down a cap. Couple miles of dirt and grease you won't know the difference.