• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front door post patch

rmk57

Does anyone make a patch panel for the lower portion of the door post.

Mine has about a 1 inch hole at the bottom and I don't think it's worth replacing or cutting up a new one for a minor rust problem.

From where it ties into the rocker and up about 12" would be perfect for some of the less rusty ones out there.

Randy

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
In a case where I need a patch I just cut out of the same gauge metal and weld in a patch. If you need it to be the exact shape of the post I suspect you may need to buy a post to cut up. I've not seen a partial front post for sale. I see rear post top parts for sale.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I did several repairs on my striker posts that there was rot but not enough to warrant an entire panel to cut up or replace. I simply had the same gauge metal, cut out the piece to be repaired and then duplicated it. I used various items to shape it from dowel rod for rounded corners to my vice etc. Take a little time and have fun with it. Also, I went to my local steel shop, it was cheaper fro me to by a full 4x8 sheet than it was to buy an 1/8 sheet at Tractor Supply... I bought 4 sheets of the various thicknesses I found throughout the bronco, 20g, 18g, 14g and 12g I believe. If you buy a sheet you can have them quarter it in a shear to make transport easy and it leaves you with large enough pieces fro other projects. Have some fun, take a little time and learn how to bend the stuff... it i s actually very rewarding when it is done. If you look in my build towards the front middle you wills where I did the patches I was talking about.

OP
OP
rmk57

rmk57

That's exactly what I'm going to do. It's a little tougher to fab as its a compound curve, but spend some time at it and it should turn out.

There is also some other bracing between the outer and inner post. I guess to support the door hinges that has to be considered to.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I had to do this with the striker post,bought same thickness and made a patch panel,much easier than removing and welding a whole new panel in.;D

KBUCK1

Get a piece of sheet metal the same thickness. Cut out a piece big enough to cover the rusted area. Place it.over the rusted area and shape it to the original panel. Use a rubber mallet or something. Go ahead and use sheet metal screws to hold the new piece in place where it's laying flat while you shape the rest. Once the new piece is shaped and screwed in place , trace around it. Then remove it and cut the old out and weld in the new

Attachments

• 20160308_204829.jpg
    20160308_204829.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20160308_204746.jpg
    20160308_204746.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20160308_204718.jpg
    20160308_204718.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20160308_204811.jpg
    20160308_204811.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
OP
OP
rmk57

rmk57

I just cant justify paying $250 for two door posts and only using the bottom
6-8 inches of both of them, seems kinda wasteful.

It would be nice if they sold only the bottom outer section just below the hinge plate. For 20-30 bucks apiece, I'd be all over it.

Going to try and fab up the piece I need. I have most of the tools to do the job. I hope I have the skills.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I'm with you completely,makes no sense to replace the the whole thing when 70-80% of the panel is good.Look around for a metal shop in you're area,I have a guy that bends my metal,I just make a template and show him what I want and he bends it up,then all I have to do is fit it,weld it,primer it,done! Good luck. :cool:

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I just cant justify paying $250 for two door posts and only using the bottom
6-8 inches of both of them, seems kinda wasteful.

It would be nice if they sold only the bottom outer section just below the hinge plate. For 20-30 bucks apiece, I'd be all over it.

Going to try and fab up the piece I need. I have most of the tools to do the job. I hope I have the skills.

Time is money too. Being able to just cut off what you need and weld it on would save you lots of time. Often in the past I would do something trying to save some money and end up costing myself much more time and sometimes even more money when I could have gone the easier route. Something to think about. Plus, if something is rusted through down low, have you investigated for sure how good the remainder of the posts are?
If you are replacing flat metal or slightly curved it's a no brainer. But if you are getting into more intricate bends you might be better off cutting from a new door post. Just my .02.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I have a new, but removed after incorrect install door post for the pass. side. The shop that did the install the first time totally screwed the pooch in the install, so I had them remove it and took the Bronco elsewhere for the 2nd install. Let me look around in my parts and find the door post that was removed...I'd sell it.