• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Speaker Options With Vintage Air Gen V System

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
So I’m buttoning up my interior after I installed the VA Gen 5 system. SURPRISE….. the JGZ Kickpanel speaker enclosure no longer fits. The evap system hugs the passenger side too closely and now there’s an interference fit.

So I’m looking for options to consider. I’ve seen the one where you put the speaker into the kick panel air inlet, but I don’t want to rip out the dash and VA all over again.

I’ve sent Jason a message to see if he has a new design.

I need ideas. Thanks

LHardin

I'm at a similar place on my build. I also have the Gen 5 VA system and ran the hoses through the kick panel air inlet.

I really want to put a speaker in the kick panel since I also want to run doors off occasionally.

I've been looking at 4" Marine (Kicker, Wet Sound or Nautic) speakers since I also want to run without a top in the summer.

What size speaker are you running?

LHardin

6.5” which is the size in JGZ’s kick panel.
I've got ya at 6.5". I'm currently planning on 4" in front kick panels and 6.5" in front of rear wheels with a subwoofer under the rear seat since I'm making my own pleather covered panels. I wish I had better ideas for you.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
I got in touch with Jason. I've taken the passenger side panel and cut it up so that it would fit. I will send it to him and he will see what he can do. More to come in a week or so.

eBronc2

Contributor
OP, can you post some photos of the VA Gen 5 system installed? I'm considering installing one in my '71, brand new body so I'd like some idea how much room it takes up behind the dash so I can try to plan ahead for glove box, vents, hoses, etc.

Does it take up ALL the room behind the dash? I know it's large, but pictures of one in place would be great.

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
I have a JBL bluetooth speaker that I have mounted and its an easy solution. Waterproof , no splicing into the harness and no modifying anything to fit. Just a thought, but I didn't want to cut my dash for a radio.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not that it helps, but I am using his door panels that take speakers. He products are top shelf.

OP
OP
WPS 73 Bronco

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
The pics of the speaker are after I’ve modified the kick panel by removing about 2 inches from the bottom, and trimming the side that meets the floor by about an inch. Here’s a pic without the dash.

1714824320822.jpeg

Last edited:

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I got Jason's door panels that hold a speaker. The speaker choices are limited but it works...that is if I ever get around to installing my speakers and amp.

I had an upholstery shop cover the panels and they look great as well. Some pics on page 8 of my build, but I think you've seen it.

Tobtech

A company I work with (TPDhifi.com) just launched kick panels for the Bronco that are 1.5 inches deep, don't interfere with the brake and there is no cutting. The Bronco these photos were taken in has a Gen V Vintage Air installed. They are built around Morel Carbon Nano speakers which allow them to be so thin. If your a car audio enthusiast I'm sure you have heard of Morel, if not, do a little research. They have been around for almost 50 years and their speakers are factory in the likes of Pagani supercars. I have worked at a restoration shop for the past few years and I helped develop these after being frustrated with installing a dual voice coil dash speaker in six-figure builds. In fact, the first set we made was for a customer that was planning to install 6.5 inch speakers in his rear quarters but liked his upholstery so much he didnt want to cut them. Here are some pics.

TPD_Hifi_6677_Bronco_Speaker_Install.heic

TPD_Hifi_6677_Bronco_Back_of_Panel.heic

Last edited:

hadams417

I got Jason's door panels that hold a speaker. The speaker choices are limited but it works...that is if I ever get around to installing my speakers and amp.

I had an upholstery shop cover the panels and they look great as well. Some pics on page 8 of my build, but I think you've seen it.
Can you elaborate on the speaker limitations? I’m planing on doing exactly what you’ve done (covering Jason’s panels to match my Tom’s seats. It would be nice to understand any limitations before ordering the panels though.

BTW - Thanks for posting all the pics. i was able to see yours and get a good idea of what to expect. Your Bronco looks great!

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
This Alpine is the only one that fits and is what he disigned it for:

Alpine SPE-5000 5-1/4" Coaxial... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ME3FKO/?tag=classicbroncos-20

Supposed to be good speakers but I haven’t mounted my amp and haven’t decided how I’m doing the rears. Taking a break on some stuff.

The reason only these fit, if I remember correctly is a combination of the depth but mostly the cutout space. Might be able to cut some more and have other speakers work but don’t remember for sure and didn’t find any others I was sure I wanted so just did these.

I went with a DS18 1600 watt amp so hopefully I’ll be able to hear them!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I can't mount speakers that low, water crossings we do will send water above door sill. I had my tweeters mounted high up on front cage.