• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel sending unit

steelworker77

Fuel gauge started reading pegged full no matter what level it's at. It happened after filling up from basically empty. Filled it at the gas station and drove 3 miles home and checked resistance at the sender and was getting 6.7 ohms. If I unplug the ground wire it makes no change at the gauge. If I swap the wires it makes no change at the gauge.

Did the sender short out internally?

Any other tests I should do?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the ground disconnected and the gauge still reading full, it sure sounds like a shorted sending unit to me.
I don’t know that I’ve actually ever seen or heard of that happening, so can’t say that it’s a thing. But you pretty much eliminated the rest of the harness by disconnecting the unit from the system.
Since the gauge reads empty, the short is not ahead of the connector.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Early Ford Bronco gages expect the sender to have a range of 10-73 ohms.
It is possible the float arm is stuck in the full position.
6.7 ohms is close to expected 10 ohms.

I would run the tank down to below half, and go for a drive, at speed, over a 1/2 dozen speed bumps.