• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full width 9 inch build…31 or 35 spline

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Why would you want to spend all that money on top strength parts only to purposely choose weaker ring and pinion gears?

High pinion in the rear is always going to be weaker than regular cut made from the same material and processes.
The load is on the wrong side.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
unless your really running big power and big speeds a 35 spline 9" is more than adequate, I will take a 9" over a D70 any day. I've had thoughts of puting a full float 9" inplace of my 14b just for weight let alone the ground clearance, but I'd have to go to 35 spline pinion, I know I'd twist a stock one, been there done that all ready. And yes a 14b is strong but how much stronger to you need to be.... If I were building completely from scratch and budget was of no concern I'd build a 10" R&P 9" and never look back, and if you can swallow a 5.40 (IIRC may be 5.89) there is a 10" HP available too, but the 10" stuff is in a whole new catagory for budget.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
If you're going to go full widths, you might as well go 1 tons. Shit for that matter you might as well go with 8 lugs.

Not trying to knock what you're doing but I wish I had the "go big or go home" attitude when I started wheeling. I would have saved myself tons of money and effort.

For reference, my wheeler runs a 14bolt/60 combo now after many iterations of other axles.

I understand where you are coming from and I have put a lot of thought into this decision. For me, it just makes sense

unless your really running big power and big speeds a 35 spline 9" is more than adequate, I will take a 9" over a D70 any day. I've had thoughts of puting a full float 9" inplace of my 14b just for weight let alone the ground clearance, but I'd have to go to 35 spline pinion, I know I'd twist a stock one, been there done that all ready. And yes a 14b is strong but how much stronger to you need to be.... If I were building completely from scratch and budget was of no concern I'd build a 10" R&P 9" and never look back, and if you can swallow a 5.40 (IIRC may be 5.89) there is a 10" HP available too, but the 10" stuff is in a whole new catagory for budget.

Reading this makes me feel better about my decision. Thanks!!