• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge Cluster Mounting Question

Sak

Has anyone ever mounted the instrument gauge cluster from the
"outside-in" (cabin side) rather than from behind the dash? If so, what are the pros/cons, and how do you make it all look good cosmetically?

I ask because as I'm doing my rebuild it seems like I'm frequently having to pull the cluster as I am going thru grounds, sending units, etc.. Not only is it hard to get to, but I'm scratching up the paint on the dash and the cluster itself. I've got a full roll cage which complicates dropping the dash and I'm looking for an easy way around it.

Thanks.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It could be done as long as you are okay with it being really ugly with the housing showing and having screws pointing out at you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would guess that some sort of bezel cover could be made up to clean up the interface.
I wonder if the speedometer cable can handle the extra 1/2" of length?
The wiring would not be a problem, but not sure about the cable. Can't think of any other dire issues.

Have you ever tried to access the panel in place from behind, through the driver's side air vent? I hear you on the scratched paint (though that can be avoided sometimes too) but a lot of members find it easy enough to pull the vent and reach through the big hole it leaves.

Just a thought.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Sak

Thanks, Dirtdonk. Good idea on accessing it from the air vent. Hadn't thought of that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Neither had I! But lots of members doing it, and then getting to do it myself once or twice on other people's Broncos, convinced me it's often a good way to go.

Paul

OP
OP
S

Sak

That's beautiful! Great suggestions to all. Now I've got a game plan. Appreciate it.

OP
OP
S

Sak

Quick question to gr8scott - where did you buy your connectors for the harness?

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I've bought similar ones on ebay. try searching for metri pack. can get from 2 to 10 conductor, maybe more...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Neither had I! But lots of members doing it, and then getting to do it myself once or twice on other people's Broncos, convinced me it's often a good way to go.

Paul
makes it so much easier to get to the speedo cable too

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quick question to gr8scott - where did you buy your connectors for the harness?

When I did my rewire I bought this kit from Summit. Pricey, but well worth it. I use them all the time.
My local Napa has individual pieces, connectors, pins, seals, so you can get exactly what you need.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The AAW harness that stock orange linked to is literally my favorite harness. It's not for someone that wants a harness to practically install itself, because it leaves the installer with more decisions to make than most. But it has so many options and a great fuse box, that it's got a lot of potential for the custom vehicle install.
And middle-of-the-road-ish price wise too.

Where did you end up mounting your fuse box stock orange? Got pics?

Paul