• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

getting a lost title

Dirtheadz

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I'm currently working a deal on a '69. The problem is that he acquired it from his brother, who bought it from a auction and lost the paperwork. (Scam???) The price is definatly right, and I would like to acquire it. How is finding a title (in Colorado) going to be? Is it worth the effort? How many hoops will I have to jump through? My plan is to work getting the title before giving any money over to him. Thoughts

ffcobronco

I have applied for two title in Colorado. first was for a trailer, and it took all of five minutes. The second I had to search for a title for my bronco. I had two vin numbers, one on the frame and one in the glove box. Long story short it wasnt impossible, but it a lot of running around. in the end, i was unable to get a title to the frame as it was supossed to have been destroyed by the impound lot some wher in its past. State Patrol issued me a new number. good news is I can use it bad news is it isnt worth fixing up because i could never get my money back out of it. any other questions email me @ bmj199@yahoo.com with your number and I can answer any other questions.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
It ranges from a minor inconvienince to impossible dependant upon where you are.

There are palces in hemmings motor news that will take you information and issue you a clean alabama title. Basically up until like 1972 or somewnhere in there alabama was a bill of sale state so it is more than likely that any old car in alabama hasd no title.

You sell it to them. the register it and then sell it back. You get a clean alabama tilte. Its perfectly legal in some states, frowned upon in others, and I believe illegal in California. Boyd coddington was under investigation for doing just this at teh time he died.

In texas it is easier if you live in a rural countyand almost impossible in heavily popoulated counties like Dallas. I say that but then a budy of mine just walked in the other day and got a title. So it also depends on the person on the other side of teh counter when you try.

Give it a shot locally knowing you have alabama in your back pocket.

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
I'm currently looking at a similar situation with a 57 T-Bird. I purchased the vehicle about a month back with ZERO paper work. I have the VIN on the frame and that's it. Apparently there is a Company called its.titles.com who issue new titles for these types of circumstances. I received the information package a few days ago and I'll be looking into it further.

I'm not sure how it'll fly being from Canada and all.... The company tells me no problem. The cost is 200$.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Before YOU buy it look on the Washington state DOT website, No I won't do it for you. They have an Anti Scam telephone number. they will tell you from your Vin
if it is hot or has a lean

12-Pack Jeff

Loc.
La Mirada, Ca
my father and I just went through a similar task with a boat trailer in Nevada. We had to go to Motor Vehicle Department and pay them to do a title search, which returned the last known owner on file, due to it being near AZ and California they said we had to also go to their Motor Vehicle Department and do the same. After getting any returned owner(s) we had to send registered letters requesting them to sign off on ownership, then we had to take the unopened mail to the MVD where we wanted to register it and let them open it, then pay any transfer fees and we would be done. Lucky for us the last registered owner from NV was 10 miles away and he came down to the DMV and transferred it with no hassle. But a title search seems to be common for missing titles.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We had to go to Motor Vehicle Department and pay them to do a title search, which returned the last known owner on file, .

Maryland DMV cannot search the old (pre 84?) VINs..only the federal long-vin format used from 84 (or whatever..) on. The only way they managed to locate the original title for my own MD-titled '78 Bronc after I had lost all paperwork while it sat for 6 years was using my MD dr. license number and looking back in time for every vehicel I had ever titled in MD..manually. Had it not been already titled under may name..they never would have been able to find squat.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
my father and I just went through a similar task with a boat trailer in Nevada. We had to go to Motor Vehicle Department and pay them to do a title search, which returned the last known owner on file, due to it being near AZ and California they said we had to also go to their Motor Vehicle Department and do the same. After getting any returned owner(s) we had to send registered letters requesting them to sign off on ownership, then we had to take the unopened mail to the MVD where we wanted to register it and let them open it, then pay any transfer fees and we would be done. Lucky for us the last registered owner from NV was 10 miles away and he came down to the DMV and transferred it with no hassle. But a title search seems to be common for missing titles.

I had to do the same thing with a boat about 8 years back. Hassle figuring out what needed to be done, but when done it was a nice clean ownership.

I am going to go through the same thing with an arizona trailer here pretty soon. My father built it and titled it in AZ. Still has the AZ assigned VIN on a brass tag. but the title is missing. I know the MVD (DMV backwards in AZ) will have purged the records that old. I will probably have to get a new VIN assigned to it and do the bonded title thing.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
this is too funny ;D "!!! Paddle Faster, I hear Banjo's !!! "