• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

H4 headlight relay harness question

SoCal68Bronco

Loc.
San Diego, CA.
I've been dealing with the blinking headlight issue. I have a painless wiring harness. I have the relay harness from Tom's. There is a plug on the relay harness that plugs into "existing wiring harness".
Question is, does the painless harness have that plug? I assume the factory harness does. I've looked around and cannot seem to find it. Or do I just splice in the relay harness?
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for all your help!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I've been dealing with the blinking headlight issue. I have a painless wiring harness. I have the relay harness from Tom's. There is a plug on the relay harness that plugs into "existing wiring harness".
Question is, does the painless harness have that plug? I assume the factory harness does. I've looked around and cannot seem to find it. Or do I just splice in the relay harness?
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for all your help!

You should simply plug it into one of the existing headlight connections (on the Painless harness). The headlight harness just needs a signal from the body harness to activate the relays both high and low beams. Most use the passenger side headlight connector and mount the relays near the battery. You can then cut off the driver side body harness headlight connector or just leave it dangling!

The headlight harness is a great upgrade and should fix your problem.

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
You should simply plug it into one of the existing headlight connections (on the Painless harness). The headlight harness just needs a signal from the body harness to activate the relays both high and low beams. Most use the passenger side headlight connector and mount the relays near the battery. You can then cut off the driver side body harness headlight connector or just leave it dangling!

The headlight harness is a great upgrade and should fix your problem.

@scoop.... What about the other headlight plug? There are 2 female 3 prong plugs that plug directly into the headlights. There is another male 3 prong plug that says "to factory wiring loom". I have factory wiring and there is no place to plug this in. Any ideas? Thanks.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tomsbroncoparts/instructions/H-4+Headlight+Conversion.pdf

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think most people just leave the other plug (driver's side usually) laying there unused, but I like to tape it off for protection.
It's not likely to ever short out on anything and cause a problem, but I like to keep dirt and water out of even the old connectors in case you have to use it again someday.

Since the original headlight plugs are still functional, if your relay harness ever gives you trouble you can simply re-connect your original ones to the headlights to get on down the road until you can fix the relay setup.

If your circuit breaker goes back to it's flashing on and off lifestyle, you can connect only one of the old headlight sockets. Yes, you'll only have one headlight, but the load on the switch is halved, so it should keep the light on steady until you get back to civilization and can fix it.
If it continues to flick on and off, then your switch really is toasted, and should be replaced no matter whether used with relays or not.

Paul