• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight Relay Conversion

ATLJrod

Loc.
Orlando, FL
I've got a Painless wiring harness on my Bronco but the headlights themselves are upgraded halogen lights. I've got the flickering issue, but was wondering why there was such a large price difference from the H-4 relay kit offered by Painless and the relay kit offered by Tom's or Wildhorses.

Painless ($200):
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/30815

TBP ($30):
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/Heavy-Duty-Headlight-Wiring-Harness-66-77-ford-bronco-new

Wildhorses ($70):
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Illuminator_Headlight_Harness/Bronco_Wiring_Harness

Anyone have any experience with these or any recommendations?

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Painless harnesses are always more expensive. Plus the kit looks a lot longer than the others.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We also have a more budget friendly version: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Night-Lighter-Headlight-Harness/Bronco_Wiring_Harness which I actually consider more desirable than the more expensive Illuminator.
But the price differences for the cheaper ones has has everything to do with which country makes it.

Our less expensive one, and I'm sure Tom's, are imported. While the Painless and Illuminator are made in the USA. As well as the Painless having to go through the traditional multi-step distribution system (Warehouse Distributor, Jobber, Retailer, Consumer (or a variation on that)), which makes almost anything more expensive than when someone contracts with a foreign manufacturer directly to buy it by the boatload. Sometimes literally a boat load!

The distinct feature of the Illuminator is that it utilizes an old-school trick of giving you the choice or normal operation or having both low AND high beams lit at the same time, for more light output. It's downside is the limited wire length reducing the options of where to mount the relays.
Has it's obvious advantages in performance, but the downside is heat. Not a problem for most setups, but if for instance you're running something like an 80/120 watt bulb in a cheap plastic housing, you don't necessarily want both fired up at the same time.

The imported ones are actually quite high quality too. Longer wire runs, less expensive, win win for almost everyone. Except the middlemen. Who need love too it turns out...:(

Paul

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I forget which I bought (probably the cheapest). Works perfectly, quick and easy but the wiring is short and runs across the front from side to side, so it looks goofy. If you care what it looks like, find a longer harness, or extend it around the back.

OP
OP
ATLJrod

ATLJrod

Loc.
Orlando, FL
We also have a more budget friendly version: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Night-Lighter-Headlight-Harness/Bronco_Wiring_Harness which I actually consider more desirable than the more expensive Illuminator.
But the price differences for the cheaper ones has has everything to do with which country makes it.

Our less expensive one, and I'm sure Tom's, are imported. While the Painless and Illuminator are made in the USA. As well as the Painless having to go through the traditional multi-step distribution system (Warehouse Distributor, Jobber, Retailer, Consumer (or a variation on that)), which makes almost anything more expensive than when someone contracts with a foreign manufacturer directly to buy it by the boatload. Sometimes literally a boat load!

The distinct feature of the Illuminator is that it utilizes an old-school trick of giving you the choice or normal operation or having both low AND high beams lit at the same time, for more light output. It's downside is the limited wire length reducing the options of where to mount the relays.
Has it's obvious advantages in performance, but the downside is heat. Not a problem for most setups, but if for instance you're running something like an 80/120 watt bulb in a cheap plastic housing, you don't necessarily want both fired up at the same time.

The imported ones are actually quite high quality too. Longer wire runs, less expensive, win win for almost everyone. Except the middlemen. Who need love too it turns out...:(

Paul

Thanks for the feedback! I'm probably going to opt for the Tom's or the Wildhorses now to save a few bucks

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
An even-cheaper fix is to run a new ground wire from the battery (-) terminal (soldered in, of course) around the body to each (or most) of the factory "ground" screws so that they're all now connected by Copper, and you're no longer actually using the steel "ground". Just make sure the wire is large enough to handle all the current; something like 10~12ga.

The advantage is that it will benefit EVERYTHING; not just the headlights.