• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harmonic Balancer & Flex Plate?

Jaybr

Contributor
Getting ready to drop the Blueprint 306/4R70W into the chassis and I'm a bit over my head so thought you folks could help.

Engine calls for 50oz. I can get the balancer from Blueprint, question is will any balancer work with explorer front dress or do I need something specific?

From reading here, I will need a 164 tooth flex plate and should look for one that says it's compatible with 4R70W/C4, any other specifics I need to know?

Any harmonic balancer install tool you recommend?

I assume I'll need a bolt for the balancer as well as a bolt kit for the flexplate, ARP or others you'd recommend?

Also, which separator plate?

Thanks!

Last edited:

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
If your running explorer front dress then you'll need to run the explorer damper which will be 50 oz..
balencer install tool I have one Lisle with about 7 or 8 adaptor fittins works fine ..the damper bolt well oiled would work as well the interference is generaly not that tight... Yes you need bolts for what you mentioned..

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Explorer balancer has unique offset and 1 pc with the crank pulley, fyi...

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
what do you call the plate that goes between the motor and bellhousing? I'm searching everywhere and can't find it.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
what do you call the plate that goes between the motor and bellhousing? I'm searching everywhere and can't find it.
"Block plate" is the term I'm familiar with. Looking online I see "bellhousing separater plate" & "transmission separater plate".

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Thanks,

Found what i needed at Summit.
Un-crated the motor this evening and it has a harmonic balancer installed already, obviously won't work with the Explorer dress but I think I'm going to go a different route.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks,

Found what i needed at Summit.
Un-crated the motor this evening and it has a harmonic balancer installed already, obviously won't work with the Explorer dress but I think I'm going to go a different route.
Go any way that suits you, but the explorer serpentine fits like a glove and provides excellent cooling!