• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone made a front dana 44 wedge to 3 link conversion bracket?

OP
OP

79INA69

Thanks @jamesroney for bringing some logic and other options to this thread. I too have little desire for a 44 front either but as usual being helpful and giving options.
Further: Have you ever seen any one use only the lower bushing section for a 05+ super 60 for the lower link mounts? Stock bushing at the axle end and rod end at the frame? Seems like I have only seen cut everything off and weld on brackets or just bolt on radius arms. Im guessing the bushing would not like the extra stress. Maybe a unit ball conversion to replace the bushings? Just thinking out loud here

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Further: Have you ever seen any one use only the lower bushing section for a 05+ super 60 for the lower link mounts? Stock bushing at the axle end and rod end at the frame? Seems like I have only seen cut everything off and weld on brackets or just bolt on radius arms. Im guessing the bushing would not like the extra stress. Maybe a unit ball conversion to replace the bushings? Just thinking out loud here
I've seen it done and looked at doing it myself until the customer shifted direction and brought a 9" to build with SD outers. I've seen 4 links put on lifted SD's using the factory mounts on the axle, no reason it won't work. If I was doing a 3 link I'd still try to package a link on top of the diff, that link being as far forward as possible makes a huge difference in torque loads, and it being toward the center reduces the abnormalities that can form from the link being to one side, which it still would be but not as much, although I've never experienced anything weird from the top link being vertically in line with the lower, my bronco is that way.

OP
OP

79INA69

It was in a Broncos ll based rig so I doubt it would help you much. Regardless, I'll try to find some.
Well I did a search and came up empty. Its a very popular XJ swap axle using radius arms and well as FS Broncos. Found some old stuff on Pirate, where most comments are screaming "don't ever weld on cast iron"... Any pics are welcome.

Contributor

Should be able to remove one of the top radius arms and get more flex out of the system. I have an 08 axle under my bronco running wfo radius arms. Haven’t wheeled it yet but we’ve done tacomas with the same setup and never had an issue with the 4 arms.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I know a lot of guys that built single radius arm on one side and a single control arm on the other. They worked really well up hill. Down hill had to be careful, they could drive over the side with the radius arm. Hard braking would cause the one side to lift a lot.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
Well I did a search and came up empty. Its a very popular XJ swap axle using radius arms and well as FS Broncos. Found some old stuff on Pirate, where most comments are screaming "don't ever weld on cast iron"... Any pics are welcome.
These are the only one I could find, but you did say any are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_20150815_120425937.jpg
    IMG_20150815_120425937.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20150815_120518907.jpg
    IMG_20150815_120518907.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 33

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
The wedge is held by welds across the ends, top and bottom. Carefully cut through and knock the wedge off. Unless you have a full width F-series axle, some of those were cast in.

AJRMa2v.jpg
Q&D, what size cut-off tool did you use to accomplish this task. I'm in the process of cutting wedges off a D30. I only got to top side, i need to flip axle over to do the bottom side. I tried oxy/acet on one of them and it didn't look good. 4.5" grinder can't get in there.

Quick & Dirty

Q&D, what size cut-off tool did you use to accomplish this task. I'm in the process of cutting wedges off a D30. I only got to top side, i need to flip axle over to do the bottom side. I tried oxy/acet on one of them and it didn't look good. 4.5" grinder can't get in there.
I used a 4-1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel. It was a while ago so I don't remember the specifics. I may have used a worn down wheel to get all of it. Maybe took the guard off? I don't remember doing anything too special.

OP
OP

79INA69

Have you look at the Ruff Stuff Coil Spring 3 Link Kit? This sounds like what you are looking to do as far as eliminating the C-bushing, adding a link tab, and keeping the coil springs over the axle.
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/3LINK-COILB.html
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/COILINK10.html
The problem is welding onto the cast steel portions of the 78-79 housing. It can be welded on, but it is frowned upon it seems. If there was a clamp on bracket that was like the James Duff long arm bracket, only solid mounted metal to metal and then had a large flat surface to weld to or lower link bracket built into it. This way your could have heim joints / rod ends at either end of the lower links to free up the binding. If I had a 76-77 housing I would already have this kit or similar welded onto the axle tubes