• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Has anyone made a custom rear seat?

flousberg

I have decided to keep the stock seats and recover them and add the mustang headrests. I would like to have the matching rear seat. The rear seat doesn't do enough to protect my kids since it is too low. It was not an issue until they started getting out of their boosters. Has anyone made a custom back for the rear seat? I could bend tubing and support it, I would need to make a new plywood back and get custom upholstery.

Thoughts?

jasonb

Loc.
Howard City, MI
I am in the same boat. My kids complain that the back seat is uncomfortable, but I like the original look. I am thinking about trying to cut two front seat frames and weld them together to make one, then have it upholstered to match the front. I am a ways off front actually needing seats, but this is path that I think I am going to try. Good luck with your seat, and keep us posted as to what you come up with for a solution.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
A lot of guys have fit two narrow buckets with shoulder harness seat belts off their cage.
A lot of different ones have been used.
The third row seats from Disco's (Range Rover) have also been used.
Lots of different third row seats from modern SUV's have been used.
I like the buckets and shoulder harness seat belts though.
It does inhibit rear visibilty a bit to have two rear buckets though....

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A lot of guys have fit two narrow buckets with shoulder harness seat belts off their cage.
A lot of different ones have been used.
The third row seats from Disco's (Range Rover) have also been used.
Lots of different third row seats from modern SUV's have been used.
I like the buckets and shoulder harness seat belts though.
It does inhibit rear visibilty a bit to have two rear buckets though....

I love the low-back seats, including the rear seat. I'm sure like many of you, I grew-up driving around in that back seat. Then my daughter grew-up riding in the back. Now that I have a grandson, I definitely think it's too low. Just funny how things change.

I'd love to see a pic of the two buckets with shoulder straps version.

jperry1290

Im in the same boat. Another forum post said guys are using the bestop trail max ii fold n tumble.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You'd sure need a custom seat there. I raised three boys in that little rear seat. After that I gave it away. Life has become more precious. My grandchildren are aren't going to ride there. Classic car or not.;)

OP
OP
flousberg

flousberg

I know there are options of either an aftermarket seat or a junk yard seat, but I want to keep the classic look and match the front seats. Two buckets like the front with headrests would be cool.
I am doing the front seats in black with red houndtooth insert. I want the back to match. I guess I could get an aftermarket or junkyard seat and have it re upholstered.

pa69broncoguy

that colt vista seat looks good, I imagine it would be near impossible to find one though. I have thought of narrowing a seat too but never have.