• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HBoost Brakes w/Exp Serpentine Reservoir ?

boonz28

Contributor
Just threaded into the plastic but it's pretty tight. I didn't get a lot of miles on the engine the last time around (before I broke a piston) but for what time it did run I didn't have any leaks, nor did it leak for the few years it sat holding fluid. When I was building my Power steering/ Hydroboost setup a few years back there were several people using this successfully.
It was the easiest/cheapest option for me so that's what I went with and if it leaks eventually then I'll be looking at other options.
It's the low pressure return so high PSI not an issue nor is backing out with my braided hoses secured to the fender.
In my opinion the wild horses reservoir looks the most bullet-proof (but is pricey), The explorer reservoir can be made to work for the cost of a fitting (but looks like it has more potential to leak than the others), and the super duty option looks nice but requires a little more effort to mount.

-Seth

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The trouble with the round reservoirs is to get more capacity they need to be taller and since the hood limits how far up the top can be the bottom ends up lower.
The pump is gravity fed so the reservoir must always be above the pump.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went this route when I added hydroboost. The psc reservoir has dual returns, an overflow drain and a filter built in. I made this bracket to go on the explore serpentine bracket.

missed that post somehow, thanks.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Personally I want a round reservoir and to get enough volume I'd go with a bigger OD. The returns should flow tangentially to the inside of the reservoir near the top. You want the fluid to flow around the inside until it slows down enough to drop into the fluid body rather than spraying directly into the fluid body. This reduces foaming and entrained air bubbles, which in turn means that the reservoir volume doesn't have to be as large to ensure that the fluid going to the pump isn't full of air.

I made tooling to spin sheet aluminum into a cap and a funnel shaped bottom for 4" (?) irrigation aluminum pipe (tube), but have yet to cut the scrap of tube for reservoir body. I've made several caps and bottoms to test the tooling, but it's been a while.

I get why it's done that way, but I don't want the PS system filter on the bottom of the reservoir. Too much of a compromise for me.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Personally I want a round reservoir and to get enough volume I'd go with a bigger OD. The returns should flow tangentially to the inside of the reservoir near the top. You want the fluid to flow around the inside until it slows down enough to drop into the fluid body rather than spraying directly into the fluid body. This reduces foaming and entrained air bubbles, which in turn means that the reservoir volume doesn't have to be as large to ensure that the fluid going to the pump isn't full of air.

I made tooling to spin sheet aluminum into a cap and a funnel shaped bottom for 4" (?) irrigation aluminum pipe (tube), but have yet to cut the scrap of tube for reservoir body. I've made several caps and bottoms to test the tooling, but it's been a while.

I get why it's done that way, but I don't want the PS system filter on the bottom of the reservoir. Too much of a compromise for me.

you should go ahead and "spin" so test units up so we can test :) it would be easy to weld the tabs on the pipe to mount it. got any pics?

Green_Bastard

If you don't mind spending the money, Lee Power Steering will make a reservoir to your liking for about the same price as the WH and PSC options. The options site is here and the bracket is here. I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to spend and how clean you want it to look.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
BTW the spin-on filter on the bottom of those PS reservoirs is usually a Honda Goldwing engine oil filter.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
you should go ahead and "spin" so test units up so we can test :) it would be easy to weld the tabs on the pipe to mount it. got any pics?
I owe one to a friend for his long dormant 5.0 into a flat fender project. With one for myself too I don't have enough irrigation pipe rem to make any more. And I couldn't make them for sale for anywhere near what the links above want. Likely be about double what the last link wants for them. ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's how I did my Explorer pump with hboost reservoir..

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 127

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Here's how I did my Explorer pump with hboost reservoir..

I guess poor flowing flat heads don't really matter when you're cramming pounds and pounds of air into the engine.

You're so f'n cool Bill....

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess poor flowing flat heads don't really matter when you're cramming pounds and pounds of air into the engine.

You're so f'n cool Bill....

We refer to what the block flows...not the heads. ;D

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I think it needs the early front dress with the crab dist. cap. Just to really mess with people.

I can see them now trying to figure out how you put an LT-1 dist on a Ford......

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you don't mind spending the money, Lee Power Steering will make a reservoir to your liking for about the same price as the WH and PSC options. The options site is here and the bracket is here. I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to spend and how clean you want it to look.

Hey G-B, thanks for the link, I don't mind spending the coins, price is a little higher than WH. I don't even know where to begin on the selections on their website but I will give them a call if I go that direction.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL. trying to get my thread back on track after BMC highjacked it with his "bling"