• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headers and brake fluid temperature question

CMTBronco

Loc.
Clinton, New Jersey
I have a 73 bronco with manual brakes, and a front disc conversion. I just installed a set of L&L headers and the headers tubes come fairly close to the hard brake lines running off of the master cylinder down to the proportioning valve. Around town and short trips have not been a problem, but I have concerns that I may boil the brake fluid and cause little to no braking ability on longer trips because of the amount of heat they throw off. Has anyone else dealt with this problem or am I just paranoid?

Craig

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My trail rig is a 73 with Duff long tube headers, auto, manual brakes with chevy isc conversion. I have had the brakes go to the floor due to, I believe, boiling brake fluid. But not on long road trips. I have never had a cooling or braking problem driving on the road. Where I have had the problem (just a couple of times) is during very hard trail use where the water temp goes to 250 or higher (cheap gage so I am not sure how accurate the reading is - but very hot none-the-less!). Hot days, long, slow rocky uphills really send my temp up. Last time I wheeled I removed the hood and my temp never got above 220 - and no brake problems!

That said, I don't think you'll have problems at highway speeds with lots of airflow around the engine and headers.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I was concerned about that problem. I wrapped the brake line and related stuff that was close to the header with header wrap.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
As brake fluid gets older and absorbs more moisture it's boiling point will decrease. Here are the boiling points of the common DOT formulas. When wet the boiling point can decrease over 100 degrees F. If you have a problem you should change the fluid.

DOT 3 401ºF
DOT 4 446º F
DOT 5 500º F

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just bend the bracket and give yourself a little more room.
Don't need to make it any harder then necessary.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
The only time I've seen it happen was with old brake fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water pretty easily so flush and fill every couple of years and it will help.
Tom

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also remember if you do switch fluids you can't mix dot 3 or dot 4 with dot 5.

Just to clarify...
4 is a better version of the old standard 3
5 is its own little oddity that can't be mixed with anything else and may not be compatable with standard 3 or 4 rubber parts.