• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hellwig Sway Bars with a '77-'79 full size box 4x4x2

lgdpt

Has anyone installed the sway bar with this box? Mine is touching... Please see pics. I have the plate for mounting the box and its thick (Im assuming this is the issue).

Attachments

• steering frame.JPG
    steering frame.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 63
  • steering box and sway.JPG
    steering box and sway.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 65
  • steering box on sway bar.JPG
    steering box on sway bar.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 62

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
and the box is big too!
Is there any way to skew the bar to one side slightly? Or is it keyed in place?
Or perhaps there just isn't the room to move it, but if you could just move it over 3/8" or so it looks like it might clear.

If the bar is not keyed in any way, it would be free to move side to side during use. Which probably is not good with such tight quarters. So guessing there is something to keep it from moving, but if you can manipulate that to move it over, that might help.

Not that you have not probably thought of that already, but figured I'd bring it up.

Paul

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

and the box is big too!
Is there any way to skew the bar to one side slightly? Or is it keyed in place?
Or perhaps there just isn't the room to move it, but if you could just move it over 3/8" or so it looks like it might clear.

If the bar is not keyed in any way, it would be free to move side to side during use. Which probably is not good with such tight quarters. So guessing there is something to keep it from moving, but if you can manipulate that to move it over, that might help.

Not that you have not probably thought of that already, but figured I'd bring it up.

Paul

Thanks Paul that’s actually what I’ve been fiddling with for the last hour I can slide it all the way over to the driver side but then the passenger side has a drastic “angle”… Not sure how that will effect handling. Looks like it is my only option.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would try it anyway. Initially it's a test to see how it will work.
I don't think it will deteriorate the handling aspects much at all, but time and time behind the wheel will tell.
I think the most likely result is that it's going to try very hard to walk back to center unless it's anchored very well where you put it.

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Alternatively, you could section the frame and move the steering box plate flush with the outside of the frame...that should give you the clearance you need. Is that powder coat I spy with my little eyes, or just rattle can?

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Alternatively, you could section the frame and move the steering box plate flush with the outside of the frame...that should give you the clearance you need. Is that powder coat I spy with my little eyes, or just rattle can?

Thank you… It’s powder coat. I did like Paul said and shoved it all the way to the driver side and then buttoned it up. I have clearance for now but we will see once I start driving it.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
if it works but wants to slide back to the pass side put a couple of split collar bushings on to hold it in place, if you have to you can always drill through the bushings and put a set screw in to help hold in place but I doubt there will be that much pressure on them

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

if it works but wants to slide back to the pass side put a couple of split collar bushings on to hold it in place, if you have to you can always drill through the bushings and put a set screw in to help hold in place but I doubt there will be that much pressure on them

Thank you. The kit comes with some aluminum split collar clamps. They seem pretty flimsy though... time will tell.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
some body with a big press could put a tweek just before the box and kick it out a little if need be.

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

some body with a big press could put a tweek just before the box and kick it out a little if need be.

Thanks, I think I found a work around. I flipped the drivers side mounting post to the outside. Im pretty sure it will work fine the way I have it set up, (although not how the instructions want it).