• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP! 68 Bronco Saginaw pump /delphi steering box pressure hose question

68bronco1x

I have installed Saginaw power steering pump and a GM Delphi steering box on 68 Bronco. Question: Can I use Bronco stock pressure hose on this configuration ? Steering box is early style... non-metric fittings. Need adapter fitting sizes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What threads are on the pump?
What threads are on the steering box?

The fitting sizes are not set in stone. All we have to go off of is it is some Delphi steering box. Considering the Delphi has made steering boxes for nearly every auto maker that doesn't really narrow it down much. You say they are not metric, so I am hoping you know what SAE size they are.
And the same thing goes for the Saginaw pump. Countless original applications among many auto makers. So us guessing what fitting you have on the pump is just that, a guess.

My bet is the stock Bronco power steering hose isn't going to work. But you can always try. There are some strange combinations of parts that do work. I've bolted together a Bronco power steering column to a steering coupler out of a Nissan Titan, which fit the splines on an intermediate steering shaft on a Mercury Villager to attach to a Nissan Frontier steering box. Sometimes weird and wild collections of parts just happen to work together.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like he said, it "might" fit, but probably not.

We sell a hose special made for that (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Pressure_Hose_Stock_Box_to_Delphi_Saginaw_Pump), but I don't know if it's something we make, something we have made, or something we found from some other application.

The threaded hole for "most" of the Saginaw/Delphi pumps (at least the ones we sell) is 5/8x18 inverted flare. Pretty basic stuff there.
If you're in to making your own stuff, the adapter for the pump to -6 AN is going to be something like this: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Fitting_6x5-8-18_Inverted_Flare and you can simply add whatever fittings and hose type you like to work with.

The box unfortunately has as many possibilities as Broncos (typical hair pulling stuff) but most I've seen are either 14mm or 18mm fittings.
Not sure which end the hose I mentioned above has, but it would fit most of the newer crop of 4-bolt Delphi boxes I would think. Depending on where they were sourced presumably.

Did you buy the stuff as a kit from one of the vendors, or did you put it together yourself? Did you buy it recently, or in the past few years?

Good luck.

Paul