• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help figuring out access to the back seat

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I have two suspension seats up front with a tuffy center console. The driver side is on a slider and passenger side has tabs, and both are mounted to the cage. The kid is getting bigger and I am tired of muddy boots on the center console.

I need to figure out how to get access to the back seat and have the front suspension seat still mounted safely in case of an accident.

Judging from the slider on the driver side just adding a slider will not give enough room. It will also be a challenge since the suspension seats don't fold.

I would love to hear some ideas.

Thanks
Martin

earthguy

I've been looking for the right Bronco II mounts based on this article that I ran across years ago --> http://www.azbronco.org/tech/todd-mods

If you figure out what year/package bronco II those came out of it may solve your problem. If you do PLEASE let me know.

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Savage, That just might be the ticket. I had not seen that before and didn't know anything new came out. Now I just need to talk to BC Broncos and see how it could be mounted to the roll cage vs the stock mounts.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I owned that seat bracket once and tried to make it work with a high-back seat. It's simply not possible. There's not enough room available for a high back to tumble. You can manipulate the back and slide the base around, all while flipping the seat forward using this bracket, and achieve a proper fold. But it's a PITA. I ended up selling the bracket and simply resorting to sliding the base and folding the back each time a passenger needs access to the rear seat.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I owned that seat bracket once and tried to make it work with a high-back seat. It's simply not possible. There's not enough room available for a high back to tumble. You can manipulate the back and slide the base around, all while flipping the seat forward using this bracket, and achieve a proper fold. But it's a PITA. I ended up selling the bracket and simply resorting to sliding the base and folding the back each time a passenger needs access to the rear seat.

X2. I have a set of those BC brackets, although I couldn't get them to pull up on their site now, it says 'Product Not Found'.

Either way, I spent way too much money on those brackets and didn't gain much functionality. And as stated above the tilt function on the passenger side doesn't work all that well with high back seats. Plus the quality just wasn't what I expected for the price.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I had both an '84 and '88 Bronco II back in the day.....bought the '88 new.

I won't say for sure, but I think the '88 had the seat bracket you are looking for. I seem to remember flipping it foreward like Todd's picture shows. They were high-back buckets in that vehilce....in fact, I looked for a set for my current Bronco after I bought it, primarily because the drivers side in the II had power lumbar. Could never find a set any where. Ended up with Explorer seats - which are coming out this spring - and replacing them with Fox body Mustang seats, which HOPEFULLY sit lower to the floor.

Pops

earthguy

BII flip up seats

I won't say for sure, but I think the '88 had the seat bracket you are looking for.

Pops

You're the third person to tell me that, but I haven't found one yet. I had an '86 Eddie Bauer (remember when that was cool?) edition BII, but I can't for the life of me remember how the seats operated. Although I CAN tell you that I did spend some time in the back seat ;):cool:

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA

I won't say for sure, but I think the '88 had the seat bracket you are looking for. I seem to remember flipping it foreward like Todd's picture shows. They were high-back buckets in that vehilce....in fact, I looked for a set for my current Bronco after I bought it, primarily because the drivers side in the II had power lumbar. Could never find a set any where. Ended up with Explorer seats - which are coming out this spring - and replacing them with Fox body Mustang seats, which HOPEFULLY sit lower to the floor.

Pops

The Bronco II seat has a high back that doesn't really fod, it scissors forward and up. The bracket is fairly big if you are trying to mount to a cage you may end up too high. See this link #3-#4

http://www.azbronco.org/tech/todd-mods

I have modified my high back to flip forward but it doesn't gain a lot in the way of access to get a person through. You really have to manipulate the seatback in order to get it somewhat out of the way. We mainly use it to get to items the dog leaves in the back.

I think the Nissan Titan seat would work perfect

nissan-titan-fold-flat-seat-4.jpg

Last edited:

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Fwiw. Extended cab rangers from 86 to 92 have the same bracket. ThAt was before the third door on the passenger side

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
xcntrk, Thanks for the pictures. Something like that other then the sliders would be so simple to make. Not sure why they ask so much for them. Unfortunately since it doesn't work I will not be making that. If I can find the Bronco II bracket I might be able to modify it.

What I think it needs is some type of scissor that allows the full seat to lift up shift forward and then drop down as it further moves forward with a little tilt. I have an idea in my head, but I need to start drawing it out and then make pieces to test the viability of it.

GRW

If the seat can pivot and go far enough forward to allow someone to get in why not fab your own?
Depending on how you attached your seats to the cage, make the main attach point at the front of the seat and a pin to hold the rear. Un-pin it and the plate/bracket tilts up and forward. Once you are done set the seat back down and re-pin the mount. If you don’t have enough room sell one or both your front seats for one that reclines (folds forward & backwards).
I believe they used to make something similar for the Bronco/Blazer/Ramcharger back in the mid to late 70’s.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I have been trying to figure out how to keep access to the rear whenever I get my console put in. I can't use a tilt/slide seat because of the harness so I'm going to try to figure out a way to make the console tilt forward if I can. I will have to build it to clear the Gear Banger to get it far enough forward. It won't really give that much room but it will open up a place to put your foot.

Jim W.