• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help identifying paint color?

pandabear

Hi!

I need help in identifying this specific shade of blue on this gorgeous bronco. I contacted the dealer, who sold it over a year ago, and he remembered that it was originally repainted in the 80s, and he didn't have any paint information for it. Its a very retro looking blue, with a shade of turquoise in it.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/10/21/mostly-stock-restored-1975-ford-bronco/

any ideas are welcome! Note, don't confuse that shade with the Nason base coat/clear coat Ford Acapulco Blue Poly, like found here:
(scroll down to blue one)
http://bigskybroncos.homestead.com/Restorationspg5.html

Thoughts? I'm looking to purchase and pay for a rest and Im trying to get it as accurate as possible. You know what you like, right?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
You can't really match paint on a computer or cell phone. There are too many variables but the main one is the lighting it was taken in. Different light can drastically change the color. Then there is the difference in each computer screen or phone.
If you like that color you can take the computer or phone to an automotive paint store and have it color mapped. I know Sikkens has a color map book. Not all do.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey pandabear. Welcome to CB.com!
Check out a thread here in Chat titled something like "master list of bronco colors" or something like that, and the different versions of the Blues will likely show up. It might be a lot of reading, but I'm sure you'll see what you need.

In the meantime, that's very similar, if not exactly like "Bahama Blue" which was a slight variation on Ford's Grabber Blue. Or, it might even be the same color, as someone recently told me that you could get a Grabber Blue Bronco from Ford. Not sure what years, but it was never called that on any of the truck paint charts that I ever saw.

But hunt for that thread and I'm sure you'll find what you need to at least get close. Allen's correct about all that lighting and such, not to mention that after 40 years the paint just ain't going to be what it used to be. But close is usually good enough to get you where you need to go at this point in your search.

Paul

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
That is gorgeous! For those who dont want to click

1975-Ford-Bronco-Front.jpg

1975-Ford-Bronco-Side.jpg

1975-Ford-Bronco-Interior.jpg

1975-Ford-Bronco-Engine.jpg

Hard to tell exactly what the color looks like. It appears it was pretty cloudy when those pics were taken ^

That link does say Bright Metallic Blue but that may not be right.

Color/year list: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213689

Heres a tiny photo of blubuckaroo's Bronco in Bahama Blue. Looks very close

attachment.php

Others in Bahama blue

attachment.php

Hank_:

IMG_20140914_163408105_zpsddfsz0ix.jpg~original

GatorDocs 75 in Bahama Blue

image2-5_zpsaf322fug.jpeg

ICON is doing a similar one as well. You might ask them:

1972-Bronco-ICON-With-A-Coyote-V8-01_zpsf3rn9iey.jpg