• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me determine engine type

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The belt accessory drive will be the biggest issue.
Consider an Explorer accessory drive. Won't fix the fuel pump issue, but has so many benefits overall.
The accessory drive will be the biggest issue, because it is a 50oz-in imbalance.
You need a 3 bolt damper in 50 oz-in imbalance. Summit sells one for about $90. If you use the 50 oz, 3 bolt damper, then all of the accessory brackets for a 1976 Bronco with power steering will fit.

Explorer accessory drive is 100% not compatible with your existing timing cover, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, radiator, mechanical fuel pump, harmonic balancer, timing pointer, and fan. (but it is a superior solution for the average shopping mall Bronco.)

V belts have successfully rotated alternators and water pumps for about a hundred years. So the benefits of serpentine are debatable. That being said, every new passenger car or light truck sold in the past 20 years are all multi-rib belts. So if they aren't better, then they are cheaper.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm looking at everything missing from the accessory drive. No pulleys, fan, etc. Trying to find all the Bronco parts, then the parts needed to adapt those parts to work, just to get to an old V-belt setup. Trying to go to a stock accessory drive will require everything forward of the block. Probably more issues finding the right fuel pump ecentric as well.

Explorer package gives a nice modern alternator, a cooling fan that works great (still need a fan shroud), good water pump, A/C, power steering.
And it is the right balance for the engine. A package instead of piecemeal of parts.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'm looking at everything missing from the accessory drive. No pulleys, fan, etc. Trying to find all the Bronco parts, then the parts needed to adapt those parts to work, just to get to an old V-belt setup. Trying to go to a stock accessory drive will require everything forward of the block. Probably more issues finding the right fuel pump ecentric as well.

Explorer package gives a nice modern alternator, a cooling fan that works great (still need a fan shroud), good water pump, A/C, power steering.
And it is the right balance for the engine. A package instead of piecemeal of parts.
I assumed that he had them, since he said he couldn't find the "holes" for the brackets he has.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Well, we don't know what there is for accessories and brackets. That is a different wild card.
We pretty much have the engine figured out. That is the easy part. Ford's wild array of accessory brackets for the small block over the years can be a lot harder to figure out.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
OP
OP
Daver22

Daver22

Contributor
Loc.
North Chicagoland, IL
Thank you all. I am taking a pause to figure out what to do. Good news, it’s a project and time is in my side. I half wonder if I should take my time to find an older 302 so it retains more originality. This will be a fun family cruiser, not a true off roader.

To answer some of the above I clearly have a hodge lodge of parts but not they work with this block. Good news, lots of other very good parts came with (aluminum radiator, disc brake conversion kit, SS brake line kit, new seat covers, new fuel tank and some other small bits.

Frame VIN matches body VIN. I have original warranty plate on a card signed by original owner. Body has a lot of patina but is relatively solid. Frame is solid too.

I think a good place to begin but I have to noodle on this engine scenario.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t think so. But maybe…🙄
Trying to coincide one group of numbers with the other usually makes my head hurt, but if you factor in how the two manufacturers number their cylinders, they probably use the same firing order.
When facing the engine, Fords have the left bank numbered 1234, whereas GM numbers them 2468. Our driver side is 5678, well there’s is 1357.
With that in mind run through the firing order and you might find that they are the same between GM and Ford.
Ignoring for the moment we’re starting at one. Just start at a random point and go from there.

Std old GM 18436572 & std old Ford 15426378.
Give it a go and see what you find.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Is this a typo??
I don’t think I made a typo. The small block Chevy has always used the same firing order as the 302 Ford. The Chevy LS uses the same firing order as the 351W, and the 5.0 HO. The only difference is the way that the cylinders are numbered. But if you draw it, they are exactly the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0255.jpeg
    IMG_0255.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 7