• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP!! My Bronco won't stop clicking!

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Nobody ever mentioned a Centech harness either plus you said you already tried jumping it and it wouldnt turn over. We cant be much help if the info we get is wrong or incomplete. Very first thing I would have done is check battery voltage

CORE4WD

Loc.
Virginia Beach
My $.02-Recently I noticed a labored start-up, like the starter would drag a little, and then just got rapid clicking. Read out cables and battery, they all read 12.5 +. I got on here (just registered) and read the post about the battery reading 12 volts but not enough amps so i figured "what the heck it's an older battery anyway" and changed it out with a Wally World Maxx Start 1000 CA for $58. My '65 1/2 w/302 (soon to be 351w) lights off on first revolution.Thanks for subliminal prodding! ;D

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
75broncokid said:
Well my bro came over this morning and we got to it.
when we put the meter on the battery it showed it was almost dead, it was making a horrible sound when you cranked it but we actually got it started with a good jump but the battery was losing the charge from 11v to 10 to 8 etc..

ruled out the starter, the new solenoid i got was actually messed up so put the old one back in, new battery cables were also not needed.

went and grabbed a new alternator ($80) and new voltage regulator. installed those two and still nothing. battery was still losing charge so my bro was like "wheres the fuse box?" i have the centech harness so it in the glove box, well the alternator fuse was blown, replaced that and guess what? battery is still pretty low, but alternator is charging it nicely, took it for an hour long cruise and now it starts on a dime, idles nice and way better power to the lights etc.

so heres my little list

NOT NEEDED BUT BOUGHT:
new battery $90
new battery cables $45
new solenoid $22
new voltage regulator $20

DIDNT REALLY NEED BUT DOESNT HURT:
new alternator $80

ONLY THING I REALLY NEEDED
fuse $1

thanks for all the ideas though. when she lit up that sound just warms my heart....
iv been there. only it was a alt. went and bought a new one put it in still problems replaced everything as you say still problems wouldnt charge the bat. for the rest of the run just kept the bat charged with a charger got home had the alt checked it was bad brand new but bad traded for a new on problem solved atleast now my charging system was new.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
whoops...

ah man that sucks dont it ..i used to have an old mechanic.buddy that i went to when i had "mostly electrical" problems he also said that with my stuff he always started at the most simple ..because i'd checked all the easy stuff already...glad you found it ...but if you play with um long enough sooner or later one will bite you on the rear....papitt...