• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! Mystery coolant leak

BroncoBrandon

I have checked all my hoses and clamps and fixed any loose connections and replaced the hose that was leaking. But there is still one leak that I cant figure out where it is coming from.

The leak is dripping from the front of the oil pan. I pulled the water pump and re sealed it but the drip is still coming from the same spot. I have run out of ideas of what could be leaking.

Any suggestions?

ransil

Bronco Guru
get a pressure tester, loaner from advance auto or other chain store ( they are usually broke) pressure test the system to pinpoint the leak, might need to get some dye 7 uv light but try the free way first.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think there is a small weep hole in the water pump that causes alot of these type of leaks that a gasket or hose will not fix. I have a minor water pump leak for the past 5 years that a gasket and hose did not fix.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
X2, sounds like the weep hole on the water pump. It's the pumps way of saying "change me".

Tim

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
xxx3 Usually when it's the weep hole it's time for a new pump!

OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

But the pump is brand new and isn't the weep hole on top of the water pump? I'll have to look at mine again

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
But the pump is brand new and isn't the weep hole on top of the water pump? I'll have to look at mine again

New don't always mean good and good don't always mean new - Jimmy Smith

Sometimes you get a bad part. I've gotten many "new" parts that were bad right out of the box. The weep hole should be on the bottom and my guess is it's not leaking all the time. Bring the rig to N.O.T and with it running give it a look. Prob leaking under pressure only.

Tim

OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

Just looked. The weep hole appears to be on top.

I have brought it to N.O.T and the leaking will stop then start again. I'm going to try the pressure test later today.

But I'm still really puzzled why and where the leak would be coming from.

COSCAG00

I had the same problem on my water pump. I found it was leaking only under wide open throttle right at the bottom of the pump where it sealed to the timing cover. It did not do it all the time but when the throttle was ope it would seep a bit.

OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

I had the same problem on my water pump. I found it was leaking only under wide open throttle right at the bottom of the pump where it sealed to the timing cover. It did not do it all the time but when the throttle was ope it would seep a bit.

Sounds like the same issue? What did you do to stop the leak?

The engine drips a little when it's running and then there is constant drip for about 2-5 minutes after I shut it off.

OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

I found the leak. Which is both good and bad. The good part is the leak is coming from the shaft on the water pump. The bad part is I don't know if it came with a warranty. I'll have to call down to Napa to find out.

Thank you guys for your help And input.