• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with 4WD

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Hello all,
I’m seeking some advice on a problem I’m having with getting my Bronco into 4WD.
I have my rear drive shaft off and want to pull my Bronco out of the garage to turn it around.
I’ve got the front axle shifted into 4H with hubs locked, and the rear also in 4H (again no rear drive shaft) on my twin stick D20.
All should be good to drive, but when I let the clutch out the truck doesn’t move and I can hear a rhythmic ticking (light thumping?) noise coming from the front.
Any advice on what I should check, try, look for?
Thanks!

fluffybunny

Contributor
Sounds like your hubs are broken or not engaging. Have someone down there by the hubs and see if they can tell if the ticking is coming from them.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try jacking up the front and spin the front tires by hand to get the front hubs to engage

OP
OP
chuckji

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Thank you fluffy and Baja! Jacking it up and spinning the tires did the trick.
Turns out that thump noise is my front DC joint hitting my transmission cross member. Uff, always something…

OP
OP
chuckji

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Fixed. There was a balance weight welded to the DC and that was slightly contacting the cross member when the drive shaft was spinning. Ground down the cross member slightly and now all‘s good.

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Fixed. There was a balance weight welded to the DC and that was slightly contacting the cross member when the drive shaft was spinning. GrLund down the cross member slightly and now all‘s good.
Make sure you have clearance at full droop.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thank you fluffy and Baja! Jacking it up and spinning the tires did the trick.
Turns out that thump noise is my front DC joint hitting my transmission cross member. Uff, always something…
Glad I could help - Where in SE MI are you? I'm in Lake Orion