• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

GA Historic 1895 Springfield carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
I wanted to offer this up to our EB brotherhood before moving on to other outlets for sales.

I have an historic Springfield carbine from Spanish American war within the first block of carbines issued to Roosevelt's Rough Riders. Serial # 28663 in between two confirmed Rough Riders ("28626", Troop I, John Martin and "28670", Troop I, Oliver McKinney) carbines shipped to the 2nd cavalry that merged with Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders along with the 5th and 6th cavalry were involved in the battle of San Juan Hill. Following the war, #28663 was recorded at San Antonio Arsenal on 12-18-1905; also noted "tested at S.A."

This carbine is 100% all original with the early 1895 date on the receiver. Dark all original wood with number 4 hand guard and early sight protector barrel band. The stock is stamped and the proof P under the wrist. The wood is very nice with the usual battle dings but really nice. The barrel is a silver / blue that is thinning but covers most of the surface.

The action is mostly silvered with a hint of the fire blue on the extractor. The bore is nice and shiny with good lands and grooves while the butt plate and trigger guard are also mostly silvered. What else can I say about this carbine, it is a piece of American Military history and is in really nice all original condition that would make any military collector happy with enough use to let you know it was there when history was made. You will find a lot of 98 carbines, most of which are rifle cut downs and some nice 1899’s but finding a 100% all legit 96 that probably saw action alongside Roosevelt in San Juan Hill is next to impossible. Caliber of is standard U.S. 30-40.

No FFL needed on this antique. Anyone wanting to check this carbine out in person feel free to contact me. Additional photos upon request. Way under auction/retail value $4,500 OBO

* Not a period sling in photos

Attachments

• Springfield bolt.jpg
    Springfield bolt.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Serial markings.jpg
    Serial markings.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Springfield front sight.jpg
    Springfield front sight.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Springfield top bolt.jpg