• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Jersey bill would expand use of historic vehicles

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
IL has expanded use antique plates which through the months of April-Oct can be driven daily.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Oh wow! That's really cool, I wish/hope Texas will mirror. On our antique tags we're only supposed to do parades, shows, maintenance, etc; similiar to what I think NJ's law is like now from my understanding.

hotrodtim68

Contributor
Let's go early BRONCO owners in New Jersey; We should all make a simple attempt to contact our elected assembly members in Trenton to get this bill on a roll. We could use a little more road time. THINK about it. ;D

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
If you really think about it how is a cop going to determine what you're doing or what you've done with your antique registered vehicle? How is he/she going to know if you only drove it one day? My EB has had TX antique plates for 14+ yrs and I have never had a problem with me not following the requirements to a T. Are the cops going to stake out your house/garage and run a 24/7 surveillance? A cop pulls you over and asks what you're doing. Tell him you're going to a club function or to a garage to get it fixed or to teach a class (educational.)

C Saporito

The biggest problem with QQ plates in NJ isn't the police, it's insurance companies finding a way not to cover your loss. You can get much cheaper rates registering that way but it may cost you in the end.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
New Jersey has lots of great motor vehicle rules!

Ohhh dang, reminds me I forgot to note the last mileage on the bronco lol, yeah right.

Haven't got stopped yet, guess will deal when it finally does happen

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
My dad was a policeman for 25 years, he told me he would never pull over a classic vehicle for cruising around whenever, as long as they were cool about it. Now the new younger generation of cops will pull you over if you have classic plates, and you better be out on a test drive (wink,wink)

C Saporito

On board license plate scanners and radar pretty much dictate who gets pulled over, I doubt joy riding with QQ plates commands much of a fine. BUT, if you are in an accident you have to deal with your insurance company, in NJ that is no fun at all.

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
If you really think about it how is a cop going to determine what you're doing or what you've done with your antique registered vehicle? How is he/she going to know if you only drove it one day? My EB has had TX antique plates for 14+ yrs and I have never had a problem with me not following the requirements to a T. Are the cops going to stake out your house/garage and run a 24/7 surveillance? A cop pulls you over and asks what you're doing. Tell him you're going to a club function or to a garage to get it fixed or to teach a class (educational.)

NJ's law has no exemption for driving for maintenance. It is very specific. Yes, it is not heavily enforced, but that does not mean no one has ever gotten a ticket for it.

Not much effort in making a call to support this change, not sure why any enthusiast would not want to be legal taking a joyride vs assuming you won't be caught breaking the law.

jmeyer1971

In louisiana the cops are just happy if you have an inspection sticker and insurance

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
license plate scanners will figure out if it saw your plate out the week before or day before.

jmeyer1971

License plate scanners? This sounds terrible. I honest to god took off the license plate on my everyday driver when i painted my bumper and did not put it back on for close to a year until I went to get an inspection sticker

Kbpony

This sounds like the new Illinois expanded use antique plates. I got them when I re-registered my '77. Unrestricted miles from April through October, service or show/demonstration November through March. Not interested in driving through the salt anyway that time of year. It seems to be a really good deal. The tags aren't as cheap as the regular antique plates, but they are a little less than normal plates. Plus, I got to put my choice letters on them! Hope you guys in Jersey can get it done.

John Griswold

Loc.
Medford, NJ
If I read the attached article correctly it doesn't say one day a week. It says you will be able to drive weekdays. That doesn't help me much since I usually want to be out in it on the weekend and I'm sure it will increase the cost of our insurance weather you use it more or not. Not sure if it's a good thing or not?