• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hobart welders. Which one should I buy?

supp64

Loc.
Lone Jack
I am ordering a welder this weekend so that I can finally start the sheet metal work on my bronco. I have zero experience welding and I am asking for the advice from the experienced welders on here which welder I should buy. Right now I am looking at two different Hobart welders the first is the handler 140 mig and the second is the handler 187. I know that they are similar but the 187 needs A different outlet to power it. My garage has a separate fuse box so would it be difficult to put in a outlet or would it just be better for me to buy the 140? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
The 140 will do everything you'll likely need to do. If you happen to have a Tractor Supply store near you, it would be a good place to buy one without paying shipping. If power source is your only concern, not price, I would buy a MillerMatic 211 that runs on 110 or 220. You may have 220 some day.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I am the last person to give welding advice But a 220V welder will be better in the long run for you. 110V will work for sheet metal up to 10 gage and a little bigger. But the 22V will work out better for you when you want to do suspension work/frame welding

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I disagree, a 110V welder will do almost everything needed on a Bronco.
110V welders can be turned down low enough to weld sheet metal much better than 95% of the 220V machines. 110 machines can also be used anywhere.

I have a Miller 211, it can be switched to both 110 and 220. I've welded 1/4 plate and 1/4 DOM tube with 110V and it works just fine. I know it's probably more than you want to spend, so the 140 would be just fine. Just make sure you use gas and choose wire that's the right size for your project.

I'd suggest you go to an actual welding store and ask them about selling you a 'package' deal, your going to need a helmet, gloves, a tank of gas and of coarse a welder..... A cart would be nice as well. If you buy at a store, they will be more apt to help you get it set up, and help with technical questions.

Brian in MI

Go with the Hobart Handler 180. I have one and it will do 16 ga sheet metal to 3/8 plate.
It is 220v. Get the gas shielding kit (if it is not included). It is the most versitle, and has the best duty cycle for the big things. Had mine for 8 years and not one issue

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
If you do go with the 140, use flux core without gas and you can weld a little thicker steel than with gas if needed. Then use gas for thinner, more precise welds, but need to change the wire for gas. . I use both and have the older version Hobart 135. Does 90% of what I need and I just jump up to 220 arc if need to go bigger.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just sold a 187 and that thing would lay some really nice welds. I now have a Miller 252 and it is amazing. I welded with my 187 set on 220 volts. It is not 20 minutes worth of work to add a 220 plug in your garage, so don't let that be a factor on your decision.

OP
OP
S

supp64

Loc.
Lone Jack
Thank you for all of the advice. I think I am going to go with the 187 and just try and find someone to install the outlet in my garage after the holiday. Now I just need to find a mask now

svobronco

Contributor
Go with the Hobart Handler 180. I have one and it will do 16 ga sheet metal to 3/8 plate.
It is 220v. Get the gas shielding kit (if it is not included). It is the most versitle, and has the best duty cycle for the big things. Had mine for 8 years and not one issue

I have the exact same machine and agree with you 100%
Don't wish down the road that you bought a bigger welder, buy right the first time.
I bought an auto dimming helmet from Harbor Freight and have been surprisingly happy with it

mudslut

Loc.
chandler indiana
the harbor freight auto helmets will work but believe me if you are going to be doing alot of welding a speed glass is the only way to go they are alot more in price. about 4 to 5 times the price but an excellent hood. one of the you get what you pay for deals. i have had one about 8 years now and have tried many other hoods and havent found one yet to work any better then the speed glass.

JLBachs

Really if I didn't already have a welder I would love to have one of those 187's. I visit them every time I'm in the store. Does your garage have a fuse box or a breaker box? You may very well have 220V going to your garage and just need to add the correct breaker and wire an outlet. If you have an electric clothes dryer or oven it's pretty much the same wiring.