• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hole cutting advice

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
What's up fellas! I'd like to cut a couple holes in my powder coated bumper for lights, without jacking up the finish. I'm kinda hesitant to do it because my bumper looks pretty nice.

How can I cut the holes and have it still look good? I'm THINKING maybe drill a pilot hole and using a jig saw. Is there a better way? Should I just not mess with it? Here's a pic of my Bronco with the bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_155407_169.jpg
    IMG_20230513_155407_169.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 31

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
How large does the hole need to be? There is a “device” called a hole puller that I have used to make a hole in a chrome mercury bumper for a C B antenna. I drilled a 1/2” hole through the bumper and put one piece on the back side of the bumper and the other one on the outside and put a bolt through the outside hole and threaded into the other. Just tighten up the bolt and it pulls/cuts a nice round hole. The hole puller I used pulled a 2” hole.
I’ll try and find a link.

Randy

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I knew these as “Knockout Punches”. This pic came from Harbor Freight.

IMG_0570.jpeg

The idea is that the cutting side pulls into the round female end making a clean, circular hole.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Something like this, maybe.

R
I don’t think that’s what he needs. If he wants concentric holes in sheet metal, knockout punches are the ticket.

HOWEVER, they’re only good for sheet metal. If you’re looking at thicker steel, you’ll need a hole saw.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
A GOOD hole saw (and there is a HUGE difference in quality) and then finish the cut edge with a good whatever to seal it the edge of the cut powder coat to the steel. This is important because the hole saw will probably generate enough heat to affect the bond of the powder coating. Then try to use a grommet to lap over that cut edge.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried those harbor freight hole punches, they would not go through the sheet metal on the dash.

I would say maybe mount them on brackets vs trying to cut and weaken the bumper?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
A GOOD hole saw (and there is a HUGE difference in quality) and then finish the cut edge with a good whatever to seal it the edge of the cut powder coat to the steel. This is important because the hole saw will probably generate enough heat to affect the bond of the powder coating. Then try to use a grommet to lap over that cut edge.
Beat me to it. My concern would be sealing up the cut edge as it will likely delaminate and peel at some later point, if you don't make sure the edges stay sealed from moisture. Might still do it but I would seal with something and then add a grommet if that works for the look you are going for?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Beat me to it. My concern would be sealing up the cut edge as it will likely delaminate and peel at some later point, if you don't make sure the edges stay sealed from moisture. Might still do it but I would seal with something and then add a grommet if that works for the look you are going for?
clear or color match spray paint works pretty good for this. Especially if you keep the cut cool when cutting. Spray the exposed metal and immediately wipe off the excess from the powder coated surface.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
If you use a grommet to mount the light or whatever, what are the thoughts for using liquid electrical tape for sealing that raw edge (good stuff)? I have used it before for sealing edges of paint and water never gets thru. Obviously you have to hide that liquid tape stuff tho!!

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, hole saw if it’s round, but need to go sloooooow, as in dril slow, stop…drill slow, stop. Do not be in a hurry, do not overheat the bit or the bumper and then you’d need to make sure you cover the edges with something like said to keep it form peeling/chipping as it will and hopefully you have a bezel that covers a little.

If rectangular, I’d use a cutting disc, no way on a jigsaw. You’d screw is all up.

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
How large does the hole need to be? There is a “device” called a hole puller that I have used to make a hole in a chrome mercury bumper for a C B antenna. I drilled a 1/2” hole through the bumper and put one piece on the back side of the bumper and the other one on the outside and put a bolt through the outside hole and threaded into the other. Just tighten up the bolt and it pulls/cuts a nice round hole. The hole puller I used pulled a 2” hole.
I’ll try and find a link.

Randy
Thanks Randy. I used one of those to make the hole in my new rear quarter panel for fuel. My bumper I believe has 1/4" steal though.... the hole is about 3"x5"

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Yeah, hole saw if it’s round, but need to go sloooooow, as in dril slow, stop…drill slow, stop. Do not be in a hurry, do not overheat the bit or the bumper and then you’d need to make sure you cover the edges with something like said to keep it form peeling/chipping as it will and hopefully you have a bezel that covers a little.

If rectangular, I’d use a cutting disc, no way on a jigsaw. You’d screw is all up.
Sounds like maybe I should Just leave it alone 😄. I was thinking of bending some tubing instead, weld it onto the bumper, and mount some lights on it. The drilling with power coating might not work too well

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Thanks Randy. I used one of those to make the hole in my new rear quarter panel for fuel. My bumper I believe has 1/4" steal though.... the hole is about 3"x5"
Yeah, that round hole puller ain’t gonna 1)cut 1/4” steel OR 2)make a rectangular hole. Lol

Randy